my 3 yr old has difficulties making bowel movements. any ideas of how to help??

i have tried all these kids laxitives and fiber gummies and i have come to a road block on how to help him. he doesnt like prunes ive tried that also. i feel bad for my lil guy he is in the middle of potty training and he has pooped and all that on the potty so he is fine with that. i dont know what else to do.

army_wife12.08

Asked by army_wife12.08 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Grape or Apple juice will work too if he doesn't like Prune.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Try straight, warm juice, esp apple juice. Also increase the amount of water he is taking in. You can also give high fiber bread and grains.
    Good luck!
    Allison7777

Answer by Allison7777 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• old mades trick is to buy the frozen applejuice concentrate defrost it and one tablespoon of that will do the trick,a long term sollution is is what im doing with my son right now he is getting one activia a day in the morning it works like a charm.good luck mama
    peanuts2804

Answer by peanuts2804 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• thank you everyone!
    army_wife12.08

Comment by army_wife12.08 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I USE TO PUT A LITTLE KAYO SYRUP IN MY BOYS DRINKS THAT SEEMED TO HELP MY BOYS
    TONIMARIE1978

Answer by TONIMARIE1978 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter had the same problem and during potty training. She was afraid it would hurt so she would hold it. We did a week of Pedia-Lax, Pear juice and limited her dairy products (all reccomended by her pediatrician). The last treatment was glycerin suppositories and that did the trick! Just inserting the suppository was enough to stimulate her bowls. They come in child size and you can get them at any drug store. Good luck and I hope your little guy feels better soon. <3
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No dairy
    No simple/white grains
    Little or no meat
    Lots of fruits (except bananas), vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Miralax is what helped my son. I also went to see a dietician for him since this has been an issue since birth, she recommed making sure he get at least 7 grams of fiber or day - after a week for the first time, he pooped without being rabbit pellets - we are very strict about it now and he's doing great..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My DIL uses V-8 fusion for our grandson.
    valkay

Answer by valkay at 2:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2010