Is this bad parenting???

I live with my in-laws and I have 3 sister in laws (12,14, 20) who have adored my daughter since her birth. They want to do everything with and for her. For her first year I hovered and told people no alot. Now that she is 2 I prefer to stay in my room on the computer or reading a book (7 other people live here and I feel crowded out there!).

If my daughter calls or needs something I will go out and every few hours I go out to check. I also take her out somewhere at least twice a week (beach, park, or store) Is it bad parenting to let them take over this way? What are some ways I could improve?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't necessarily call it bad parenting..
    Its great that so many people love your DD.. but I would say that you need to spend a little more time with her..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well, are you just feeling guilty or are you really truly letting them take over... Look at this way... If relations soured between you and your in laws, who would your daughter be most attached to? Who would feel most justified in seeing themselves as mommy?
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 1:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• if you feel you need space, move. I lived with my inlaws before and i hated it.. i lived with my parents before too and i hated that as well.. I didnt like interefering with my parenting.. for example when i tried to dicipline my 2 year old everyone would jump in and say dont be mean to her! get out get your space and will be more comfortable!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• IMHO yes, it is.

improve by taking care of your daughter yourself.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't know about bad parenting, but if the child is yours, you should be the one taking care of her. A child is a 24 hour a day 7 days a week responsibility. Not a "when it is convient for me" one.

Allison7777

Answer by Allison7777 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well, if you're in a different room on the computer or reading a book, you're not actually parenting at all.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• we live with my parents as well! we have the whole basement to our selves so we have like a small apartment pretty much. its nice to get away! ur daughter is 2 so im sure if she needs u she will come get u! my daughter is 5 months old and i let her spend the night with my parents upstairs at least once a month so i can clean our place! it is nice to have family around to help! just as long as they remember that ur the mom then everything is fine! if u are worried about it then spend more time with everyone as a family!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I can move. I am in high school...just on summer vacation right now. When I graduate I can move. One more year.
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I lived w/ my inlaws for 10 long months. they'd have their say about everything from the way I dressed my ds to discipline. Id put shorts on my son in the summer and they'd scream about me getting him sick because it was too cold for shorts (@ 95 degrees?). The longer we were there the worse it got. I wasn't allowed to cook, critizied on xleaning, how I take care dh and ds, etc... I would suggest move out and take control of your child. I love my inlaws but we get along great AFTER I moved out. They still try to interfer but not as bad now
    ajmfmommy

Answer by ajmfmommy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you have that many people there to look out for your daughter, I would go get a job and make some money so you can change your situation when the opportunity arrises. Where is the baby's father every day?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010