How do I get pet urine smell out of the carpet?

We moved into an apartment about a month ago and they had the carpet professionally cleaned the day before we moved in. We have had to deal with the smell of pet urine in our carpet since we moved in. It's disgusting! Does anyone know how to get rid of this smell? My guess is... the previous owners had pets and it has been there a while. It's only alone the walls along the edge of the carpet, but it reeks when we're eating dinner in our dining room and other areas in our apartment. We have allergies in our family, so we don't even have a pet and have never had one.
I've tried Arm & Hammer Oxyclean powder stuff, that you leave on and then vacuum away, but it has not helped at all because the smell is still there. Any help would be great!!

mommy_of_isaiah

Asked by mommy_of_isaiah at 1:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pets

• OdoBan - it works great! You can buy it at Sam's Club for sure.

http://www.odoban.com/
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Put baking soda all over the carpet, and then vacuum it up an hour later. Baking soda absorbs smells.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 1:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• OdoBan has a fragrance I do not care for. I used it for years with cats (my mom introduced me to it)

I like 'Natures Miracle'. I have found that it actually works better, and has no fragrances. It doesn't smell great for the first 24 hours, but it will COMPLETELY remove the odor.

You can find it for cheap on amazon!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sometimes the padding has absorbed the urine too. Hopefully these ideas get down into the padding too. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• use a black light to see where the urine is (urine glows under black light) & use urine gone (you can get it at Target)
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yuck. Maybe your landlord could replace the carpet? I'd at least ask.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 7:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The urine soaked through to the mattress pad; it needs to get removed.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Vinegar and water. 1/4 vinegar
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The urine is most likely in the backing of the carpet and in the padding underneath. No amount of surface cleaning will remedy that. Also, if the urine came in contact with the drywall or baseboards, they may have absorbed some of the urine and are now emitting an odor as well. This is absolutely the responsibility of the management company and you should contact them immediately. A remediation on something like is usually too expensive to bother with on cheap apartment carpet, so typically they would just replace it. Ugh, I would get on them today and not let up til they did something about it--it wasn't your pet and it's completely unfair for you to have to breathe that in. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• that happed to me and i called and made the apt replace it. other then that pet smells are hard to get out of anything.
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010