Who are you to judge how I throw a 1st birthday party?

I recently posted a question asking if I was missing anything- like food or decor wise.
The moms went on to say I was responsible for entertaining other peoples kid even though there are only like 5 coming because they are family.. I could understand if the party was for a 6yr old & I was inviting his KDG class- but Im not. Its family & DH & I friends. Im not hosting to babysit my husbands cousins..
Also went on to say that it was ridiculous to have a guest list with 70 people & that by the time my son is 16 he will be expecting a $60k bday party.
-Apparently those moms cant afford to have extravagent parties- but why give me greif because I can?

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Entertainment

• do what is best for you and don't worry about these women say- celebrate anyway you want!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• hmm.. well i didnt see your last post, but i had about 30-40 people show up for my sons first birthday. we decorated with yo gabba gabba things, & first birthday things that we got at party city. we had it outside at a park, so the kids had the park to play with, we brough some frisbies and balls, and had a pinata and thats all we really had for entertainment for the kids that did come, which there also wasnt too many. as far as food, we had bbq - burgers, hot dogs, mac & pot salads, rice, chips, things like that.. i also like to throw my kid a nice bday party. i dont care if he remembers it now or not, and if i can afford it - he will be getting a 60 k bday party when hes 16!! he deserves it :)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Honestly, if I had enough money I would spend 60K on my 16 year old! I had quite a few ppl at my kids' 1st birthday party.. Have fun & don't let jealous ppl bring you down!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Do what you feel is right. I can't afford lavish birthday parties but I do what I can to make that day special for my kids. Don't worry about other people they will always have an opinon good or bad.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well, if you can afford to have an extravagant party, you can surely afford to get some activity to entertain the children that you are inviting, even if they are just "your husbands cousins." How would you feel if the tables were turned the other way and your kids had nothing to do because the hostess was a crappy hostess?
    I'm not saying go out and spend a million bucks on a bounce house, a clown, and a DJ- but get some games or something to occupy them.
    We had a big party for my daughter when she turned one, but it was at a playground- so all the big kids were busy playing while we did presents and stuff.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Thank you PURPULbutterfly!
    Growing up I never had birthday parties- HA I was lucky if I got a "Happy Birthday" before I got booted out the door for school. Birthdays are once a year- A day that I can dedicate the whole day to my son!
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I didn't read your original post on this, but could it be possible that you came across as boastful instead of needing advice? Not saying that was your intention, but do you think that may have been what bothered them so much about your post? It's nobody's place to try to dictate or judge how you throw a birthday party, but when you go into great detail on things, especially on here, expect to hear some opinions on it. Sometimes people are just opinionated and that may be mistaken for being judgemental. Anyhow, I hope the party turns out great and you're very fortunate to be able to throw extravagant parties.

nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There is always someone out there ready to step on the neck of someone else. You do what works for you and your family. We have close friends from Italian and Spanish cultures. The first birthday is freaking huge for them. We've been invited to parties with 300 people at them. For anyone who is interested..that custom came about in poor countries where as many as 50 % of newborns didn't live to their first birthday. Birthdays are, or should be, about celebrating LIFE. You can't get yesterday back, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, today is a gift. If you spend that gift hatefully it only harms you later.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There are 2- 3yrs & 7yr old & 2-9yr olds who will be attending. The party is only 3hrs long. Between food- presents- cake. Im sure they wont have time to be bored & in the event that they are they can go outside the main door & WAH-LAH a park! I paid a $150 to rent the venue for 3hrs with NO food, bc their was a park outside.
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well in thaaaaat case, they should be just fine :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010