Fetal Echo Cardiogram?...and heartbeat question

I've been scheduled for a Fetal Echo Cardiogram (think that is what its called). My OB says he can't see all of the areas that he needs to see of my baby's heart. He says the parts he can see look ok but he suspects maybe a smaller problem that a cardiologist may be able to see. In hearing this I freaked and couldn't think of the questions I needed to ask....SO, here I am! What would cause my OB not to be able to see all of the parts of my baby's heart? Im reallllly stressed because of all of this and need some honest and informative answers, thank you ladies!
Oh and around 11 weeks gest. my baby's heartbeat was around 160, now her heartbeat has dropped to 146. I know 146 is within normal range BUT is it normal for such a big change? I am now 22 weeks pregnant.
Thanks again!

MommieIsSexay

Asked by MommieIsSexay at 1:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know about the FEC, but changes in heartbeat are normal- changes in activity/movement can affect the rate, just like it can with ours.. wishing you the best!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Perfectly normal for the heartbeat to slow throughout pregnancy - with my most recent her heartbeat was in the 160s early on, by the end of the pregnancy it was in the 120s for resting.
    I had several fetal echocardiograms from a cardiologist (due to concerns about a fetal heart block developing). Not sure why your dr can't see everything, but I wouldn't worry - he must just be sending you as a precaution. They are very much like an ultrasound, same gel, same type of equipment, they just focus on the heart instead of the entire baby.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010