How old was your baby when she started solids?

My daughter is 5 months and will be 6 months on the 3rd. I am starting solids but she keeps spiting it out. Is there a way to get her to eat it? My son started at 6 months and did good. He would suck his fingers to help swallow. I thought my daughter would do that since she loves to suck her fingers. Is this normal and I should just keep trying or is there something I can do to help?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's still doing the tongue thrust that means she's not ready for solids yet. It's recommended to start solids around 6 months but before a 1 solids aren't for nutritional need. It's just for introducing new flavors and textures.

I'd give her a couple of more weeks and then try a mashed up banana mixed with breastmilk (or formula). Bananas, avacados, and sweet potatoes are all great beginner foods. I'd skip the cereal all together, if offers very little nutritional value and may make her constipated because of the high iron content.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my son was 4 and a half months old when he started rice cereal & fruit. he didnt "love" it either when he first started, i think just because he wasnt used to it. but i was consistent, and kept trying every day and i would say it took 2-3 weeks before he started loving it and getting good at eating it. what i did, to help him like it also, was make it very fun. like choo choo noises, and clapping and saying yay, and smileing. things like that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Keep trying her. She will eventually get used to it. It's just because it's a new texture. What are you trying her on? Rice cereal, fruit, veggies? One at a time or all at once? You can skip the rice cereal if you think she doesn't like it. Try a mild fruit like pears or peaches and see what she does. Don't try too much stuff at once or it might confuse her. And don't put it in her bottle or she might choke.
    NicholasMama608

Answer by NicholasMama608 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• we started solids at a little over 5 months after some stupid pediatrician acted like we were horrible for not having him eating solids yet!
    he didn't *really* eat much of anything until 7 months though. we would just give him little tastes and he wasn't really ready to eat. some babies are ready at 5 mos imo, but others aren't ready until 8 mos or so. everyone is different :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• When she is ready she will not spit it out, she will open her mouth and beg for more!! I say stop and try again in a few weeks.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i started my son at about 5 months, he loved it. hes 8 months now, and he hates baby food, or anything mushy for that matter. he enjoys chewing with the teeth he doesnt have just yet haha. so i give him soft foods that he can gum =). if she doesnt like it, try again later on
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 2:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I gave her apple sauce she didnt like that by itself so I mixed it with rice cereal. also banana's. She liked that better but still didnt want anything to do with it. I give it her at dinner...maybe ill start giving it to her for lunch also just to get her use to it faster.
    JacobsMommy05

Comment by JacobsMommy05 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sounds like she's not ready. Try again in a few weeks. If you push it, she'll likely be more resistant. Good luck.
    EmmyCora

Answer by EmmyCora at 2:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 7 1/2 months. No jars or cereal. Table food.

Not all babies lose the tongue thrust reflex at exactly the same time. Tongue thrust is a safety mechanim designed to keep solids out. You can't teach or rush this (though you can bypass it with liquifyed purees but that does nothing useful)...babies lose this in time all on their own and biologically programmed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Both my babies were around 4 months when I started them on rice cereal.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010