Clinging baby?

My 2.5 month old son just clings to me constantly. I don't even get a break when he goes to sleep for a nap. He will fall asleep in my arms and the minute i put him down into his crib for his nap he wakes up and starts screaming at the top of his little lungs. Then I'll pick him back up and he'll be fine and go back to sleep. The only break I get is when he goes to bed for the night. Is this normal?

tink0922

Asked by tink0922 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have NO IDEA what is normal.. I did not have an easy child but I can relate. This is how my son was - he would however sleep in his swing or being swaddled very tight. good luck - it gets easier..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i feel for you good luck and i hope it gets better for you
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh yeah, my daughter's pushing 2 and is still very clingy.. It's okay to let him cry though, you know he's safe.. and when you need a break, you need a break.. set him up with a few toys, a swing, or vibrating chair and step a way for a few minutes.. it'll get easier as he grows, I promise.. but for now, just keep taking deep breaths! And don't ever be afraid to ask someone to help out once in a while :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 2:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Whatever your routine for getting him to sleep at night can be repeated when he is ready to sleep for his naps. Be consistent and it will all fall into place.
    Anonymous

• At 2.5 months old baby is still very reliant on mama. He needs your touch, smell, voice, etc. to calm and reassure him. After all he was with you constantly for 9 long months, it's what he's used to. I'd try to find some kind of carrier that you're comfortable with, a sling, wrap, mei tei, etc. It'll allow baby to be with you but you to be hands free and get some things done.

To get him to sleep try putting one of your shirts in bed with him so he's got your scent. Sing to him, soothe him, lay him down and continue to sooth him until he's well settled. I know how frustrating this can be but at the same time use it as an excuse to snuggle that baby up. They grow out of that snuggly phase so fast. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• the only way i could get my son to sleep up until 3 months was in a swing...he liked the hugged feeling but didn't like swaddling since it confined his arms
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Will he sleep in a vibrating chair or car seat? A baby that young isn't so much clingy, as he is just not aware of what's going on.
    In my experience, my babies didn't like to lie flat, so that woke them up many many times after they had been asleep in my arms.

Give it some time, and keep trying to put him in a crib for short periods. Even when he's awake. Just so he gets a feel for it.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 2:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Keep trying to put him down when he's asleep. I have found that having some type of noise in the room when I laid mine down (music, fan, white noise, etc.) kept them sleeping even when they hit the mattress. I always would tuck a small blanket in with them that I had worn under my shirt while they were awake so they would smell my scent in their crib too.

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It is perfectly normal. I used a wrap/sling mei tai so i could be hands free or movee around. I did use the 3 in 1 infant to toddler rocker for some naps (deep sleep only; in whatever room i was in) but at 4 or 5 months she didn't want it. and had no interest in it againt at 10 months when she learnrd to climb into it by herself. she often falls asleep when i back carry her enen when i'm doing loud things outside or vacuuming in the house.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There is no such thing as normal when it comes to kids. Normal for him is having Mommy hold him & I personally don't see anything wrong with that. They grow up too fast. Enjoy the holding while you have it.
    EmmyCora

Answer by EmmyCora at 2:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010