What do you do to keep kids entertained when it is storming?

My children are 4.5yo and 7yo, and are terrified of storms(so am I), I am trying to find ways to take our minds off the storms and enjoy the time, rather then cowering and fussing the entire time! Thank you in advance!

Asked by ms_mommy_sue at 11:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• My kids did a wonderful can rock band. using kitchen materials we had drums and rice shakers we even recorded it for them to play later. Another favorite is the indoor picnic which is made even more fun if you do the blanket fort. To take their mind off outside they get to help prepare the meal.

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Try to learn to not act fearful of the storm, you can be passing the fear on. Then show them how neat the lightening is take the oppurtunity to so so research on storms draw pictures of the storm?

Answer by ilovemybananer at 11:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Build a tent in the middle of the living room floor. Put a sheet over some chairs and use a flashlight. PLay hide and seek. Watch a movie on a portable DVD player. PLay the abc game where everyone names a food or person whose names starts with the letter and go from A to Z. You can make a suggestion and their imagination will go wild.

Answer by Queentdi at 12:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I have a finished basement, no windows. So, I would go down there and put on a DVD pretty loud so we couldn't hear or see the storm.

Answer by manna1qd at 1:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• we always plaed board games when it stormed when i was little (but i love(D) storms)

Answer by hendrickson at 2:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2008