How much time should you allow to pay for bills?

I am new at bill paying and was wondering how much in advance should you mail your payments in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I typically mail mine in about a week early, just to make sure nothing gets lost in the mail or anything
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 2:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• try paying them online, it's much easier and you can do it for most bills
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you have the money, as soon as you get them. Or some that are due at the same time every month and the same amount (car ins., rent, and such) two weeks early is good. That is, again, if you have the money that early.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Depends on where it's going. If it's out of state I would say at least a week. If in state a few days. Don't forget about weekends and holidays, you want to add extra time for those.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I pay mine at least a week in advance. DH and I get paid on the same day, so that night I sit down and pay ALL the bills for the next two weeks. The money left after the bills are paid is what we have leftover for food, gas, etc.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 2:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, at least a week so it gets to them on time. Late payments can affect your credit so keep up with them. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Minimum of 5 days before due date.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I do online bill pay through my bank & it usually only takes 1 business day
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I try to allow at least 2 business days for local bills, and 4 or 5 business days for bills going anywhere else. If your bills are due on the same days every month you can mark them on your calendar in advance to help you remember when you need to get them in the mail. If the due dates aren't set then you may want to make a habit of opening them right away and marking the dates on your calendar.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Mail in get paid anywhere from 5-10 days before the due date. DH gets paid twice a month, so I pay bill on pay day. The bills that are auto withdrawal from our account are paid on the day they are due.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010