How should I feel?

Okay SO let me try to be detailed.... My husband and I are going to be celebrating our 1 year anniversary on August 8th. I really wanted ot do something the whole weekend because it is a big deal to me. Its our very first anniversary saying we did it! we got married and stayed married! I want to do something fun since I never leave the house. I also wanted it to be kid free and sort of like the honeymoon we never got. Nothing too pricy just maybe a best western near San Diego Zoo so we can go there and do dinner or breakfast next morning.... or maybe hotel by Disneyland since we both have passes already ya know ...SOMETHING! lol... and when i mentioned Ideas he said he thought maybe wed just do dinner or something. We do that at least once a month. So my feeling is ....how do you celebrate 1 year by doing something you doe very month... and my other thing is hes bought 40$ sunglasses and toys at home deopt... so money we have

mommy492006

Asked by mommy492006 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• just let him know how important it is to you to celebrate in a big way!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Talk about it again and let him know how important this is to you and how much fun it could be. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Why do you need to "do" something to celebrate your anniversary? Not going away for the night, or weekend or what ever, doesn't mean you aren't celebrating. If its that important to you that you do something big, then tell him. Don't get mad when he spends money, just talk to the man. He can't read your mind.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• tell him how important it is to you. Maybe buy some lingerie & tell him you need a room to wear it in!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• in response to hobbitswife04 : because All the usual at home things someone would do to celebrate something like cooking for eachother or baking a cake etc... I do on a DAILY basis. I have cooked and baked almsot every day since we got married except for when I was sick or out of ingredients. So literally there is nothing at home that we could do to celebrate because for us it would be stuff we already do all the time. I want it to be special you know. memorable. something big. You only have one 1st.
    mommy492006

Comment by mommy492006 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• On our 1st anniversary my husband was in Iraq, on the 2nd anniversary he was gone for the whole month on training. Now this third one, he better be here! lol, but seriously, If he's not away I would want to do something special, not stay at home or do the usual things we do. There are a few things that we both use to enjoy doing and haven't gotten to do together in a very long time. I honestly wouldn't care if we went camping or bowling, I think I'd just be happy with the fact that I finally got to spend it with him.
    tlclinard

Answer by tlclinard at 4:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• While it would be nice to get to do things your way, maybe it's important to him to not celebrate big. I'm not going to tell you how to feel, but if this is only your first anniversary, I hope you're not setting up a pattern for annoyance every year for him. You have to find something that will work for both of you. Hopefully, by now, someone has told you that marriage requires compromise, on just about everything. It's your anniversary, but it's his too. We spent our first anniversary at a golf tournament, and I don't play, but he had a great time, so I was happy for him. We celebrate our 12th in a few weeks. Relax.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• no see @ Pnukey I don't plan on doing something big each anniversary but the important ones I do...1st...5th...10th...etc.... cuz they ARE something BIG so they should be treated as such ya know like nowadays no one stays together and I should add that its our 1st anniversary but we have also been together for 5 years so It's a huge deal for me to have been together this long and now to have been married for an entire year especially after everything ive been through with him already
    mommy492006

Comment by mommy492006 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• on our 1st anniversary, we did the same thing we did on our 17th anniversary and that was just stay at home and enjoyed each other time but since our son was born 14 yrs ago, we enjoy a our time with him to on our anniversary.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I dont think you are asking for too much. Why not celebrate life and milestones when they come up? If you dont make a big deal about celebrating your anniversary now then in the years to come they will never be a big deal. Train him now. By him spending money on crap and you wanting a romantic weekend is making you feel like you are not a priority. He needs to want to make you happy. I would tell him what you need to be happy. He needs to step up as a husband and make your wishes come true.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010