Need tips for toddler proofing my kitchen cabinets.

I have some of the spring latches, but since they require screws I can't put them in my apartment. They do not have handles or knobs though. I can't put up a gate to just block off my kitchen either. I need some kind of latch or something to keep him out of my cabinets. My 2 1/2yo keeps getting into the trash under the sink.

nerdyma7

Asked by nerdyma7 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might try talking to your landlord again. They might be able to recommend a solution for you. I lived in a apartment when my oldest was a toddler, and I'm pretty sure they had to allow me to baby/toddler proof as necessary. They could tell me what types weren't allowed, but they couldn't rule out all possibilities.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Masking tape worked fine for me.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 2:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I never child-proofed anything in my home. I never moved things nor put anything away. I told my children "no" and I spanked them when they did not obey. They are 40, 37, and 32 years old, all well-adjusted, law-abiding, non-violent productive citizens. So since you can't drill any holes, why don't you just buy a little plastic flyswatter? It will leave no marks, but it will sting just enough to accomplish the purpose for which I recommend it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Get the Kidco magnetic locks. They don't require screws...they're just adhesive and if you leave them alone for the first 48 hours, they are surprisingly strong. You can turn the locks off and on as needed and when the locks are engaged, a magnet key is required to open them. They were super easy to install. They're pricey but if you only have a few cabinets to do, its not so bad. Or, you could get a garbage with a lid and get a refrigerator strap for it. It'll be a pain to get to the trash all the time though.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010