Working moms...

What do you do for a living?

I am looking to go back to work in the next couple of years and would like a job that has a decent wage, benefits and good hours so that I can work while my kids are at school.

What do you do? Did you go to school for it? and how does it effect your time with your kids?

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 2:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Recently, I managed a hair salon. We sold retail hair products as well. I've worked as a retail manager before and really enjoy it. This past job, I worked all daytime hours except for one evening a week. It worked out great for me. I actually went to school for medical, but found that I somehow enjoy the retail life better.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm a (union) sheetmetal worker. Not many women in the construction fields and I'd encourage you to check it out!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 2:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have a BSW and work full time m-f 8:30-4:30

unless you work at a school itself, you most likely will need before and/or after school care
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What do you do? I work for the Oakland County Child Care Council

Did you go to school for it? Nope. I have a BA in Political Science and MS in Nonprofit Management.

and how does it effect your time with your kids? I don't have anything to compare it to, i've always worked. I have a wonderful relationship with my son, we have a very close bond. I get plenty of sick and vacation so occasionally i take a day off and we go do something fun.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I work for a firm that deals with annuities, group contributions, mutual funds (my team specifically deals with these, but in the past I've worked with annuities). I've been here since 2003 and my normal work hours are 8-5 (overtime in some situations, though I have not had any in a long time). I did not need any college training with this job, though of course if you have a degree (in this field), you get paid better of course.

I get a decent amount of time with my son. True, it's not as much as a SAHM would get, but I'm satisfied for the most part.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm a VB .NET developer for a manufacturing company. I have a bachelor's degree and master's degree in information systems. I work about 7:45 to 4:45 M-F, and, on the rare occasion I need to work at some other time, I can work from home. I work for a small, privately-owned company, so it's pretty laid-back and family comes first. My advice is to do something you like for a company you like; no amount of money will make you happy in a miserable situation.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am a full time customer service rep.. and I think its good for my kids because they get to go to daycare with other children all day and then get Mommy time in the evening! I didn't have to go to college for this.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My ex husband can take a little bit of time out of his day to get the kids from school as long as I am off work shortly after that. He can take them TO school as well because he doesn't start work until 10am or 11am some days.

Union job would be awesome.
    What are your hours like as a sheet metal worker? How much schooling did you have to do?
    Laila-May

Comment by Laila-May (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am a special education teacher. I had a BS and MS from long before I had children and becoming a SAHM. As my children began preschool, I started thinking about what I wanted to do when they started full-day Kindergarten. I eventually discovered that I could be an Emergency Substitute Teacher, just by my having a BS, and was able to earn over $100 per day, working ONLY when I wanted to--it was completely flexible!

I eventually made some contacts in the special education department while subbing, and one of the teachers told me how I could take the necessary courses I needed to get my teaching certificate. By the time I completed the course work, the Principal of the school I now teach in knew me well, and offered me a teaching job when one became available! Ironically the teacher that told me how to go back online, was the one who retired!

I work 4 miles form home and I'm on the same schedule as my kids--no conflicts!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I do career and job search coaching; send me a message if you would like someone to bounce ideas off of...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010