Why is it people complain about women being discriminated against,

and then turn right around and vilify the women who focus on their careers and make equal pay for equal work?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I've wondered that too.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Good question. :-) I guess some want it both ways, to have the choice to have the careers but not actually do it? Guessing here, I really have no idea.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Because, in general, people agree with choice as long as everyone is making the same choice that they do.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am not sure what you mean by that. Can you give a more concrete example?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

Sarah Palin being the evil spawn of Satan for working after her son was born (except for when people were busy accusing her son of being the incestuous child of her husband and daughter). Every question in Q&A that talks about how working mothers let someone else raise their children.  The decades old Holllywood Trope that all career women are evil.  Concrete enough?

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Vilify ?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh by the way....I do know the definition of VILIFY. I just wonder where this comes from? I would think a woman who works ,makes a good salary would have smarts and be admired, not "vilified".
    And I haven't seen it happen. Hmmm....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes. Sorry for being confused...obviously it was offensive to you. I thought this post was related to something someone said in the Fairpay question, so i was just trying to clarify.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• To be fair, I'll add that this does go both ways. Working mothers can be quick to condemn sahm's too. As though we're setting back the feminist movement by choosing to stay at home, or that we're too stupid and lazy for a real job, etc. etc.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Maybe it's not the same person saying those things. "They" can be too much of an all-emcompassing term.

I'm all for equal rights, but I'm also accepting of the fact that women and men ARE different from one another, in our genetic make-up and mental tendencies. Sure, we can perform the same tasks, but we are not completely the same. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010