My cat seems terrified of her litter box now...HELP!

My cat used to use the litter box fine. We've had her for about 4 years and the only time she ever didn't use it is if it was dirty. Now she's using our couch and whatever else she feels like. I tried taking her to her box and putting her in it to show her. I ended up scratched and she ran off. So, yesterday I got her a brand new litter box and brand new litter. I tried to show her and once again...she scratched me and ran off. She still won't use it! Any ideas what could be going on and how I can get her to stop using my couch?! Or how to clean my couch really good. Thanks!!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pets

• Definitely call the vet because a cat going outsider her box can be a sign of an illness. If it's not that, try making sure the plastic liner is patted down. For a while my cat wouldn't go in the litter box and instead went in the bathtub. I discovered that some of the plastic liner was in the way when she went into the box and she was afraid of it.

Good luck.

Pat
    Amigram.com Life’s Happy Announcements
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 10:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My cat is doing the EXACT same thing. And my friends cat is as well. I dont understand it!
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 3:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• she may have an infection. cats get things like uti just like people. sometimes you can find meds for it at pet stores but if it's more severe she may need to see a vet.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think you need to take your cat in to the vet ASAP. Cats tend to not use the litter box when they are ill. Even if you don't see any obvious signs of illness, get her checked before you do anything else. If she does have a uti like jennifer mentioned, it is causing her pain. She's associating that pain with the litter box.

Also, if you've had any major changes or stress in the past week or so, that also can trigger off behavior. Hope she's ok!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010