I have a 2 yr old on a bottle and still wants to drink milk at night! HELP!

I have a 2 yr old I am trying to get off the bottle for sometime now..
My mother and older sister tell me to let her keep the bottle till she is ready to get rid of it. My mom said I was on the bottle till I was 5 and my sister breastfed till she was 7, and we are just fine and "Normal". Top of that my 2 yr old doesnt sleep all night.. she wakes up and cries for Milk or her bottle!

How do I get her to stop drinking from the bottle and sleeping throughout the night?

Sincerly,
Desperate Mommy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take it away, your the mommy, shes the baby. Theres gonna be some tough nights at first, but it will be okay. Just don't give in or it will be pointless. Besides that is terrible for her teeth. You could start by only offering a tippy of water at night, thats much better than milk in a bottle. Once shes using a tippy with water she only be drinking because shes thirsty, not out of habbit. Its not easy at first but it will be. Good Luck!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Only way you're gonna get her off the bottle it to throw all of them away and go at it cold turkey. It will be hard at first but after a day or two she will realize she can have a cup or nothing. At this age she should just be starting to drink from a regular cup. Being on a bottle till you're 5 or 7 is a bit ridiculous. As for sleeping through the night, she will start to once she realizes that she wont get milk so it wont be worth it. I only ever give my daughter water at night.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter would do the same thing like clockwork at about 3am. She was fine ALL day without the bottle but when night fell we were both tired so I gave into her. Shortly after my husband's deployment I made a final choice to get her off the bottle and my girl threw a FIT. She was screaming at the top of her lungs for that bottle but after about 5 min she stopped and whimpered every 1/2 hour or so. By day 3 she was over her bottle! It was awesome. Just make the decision, stay 100% committed and you will see positive results.
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Take it away, it's that simple.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You are risking serious damage to her teeth. After you brush her teeth at night, all she should have is water.

Take her to the store, let her pick out a cute, stainless steel (big girl) water bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010