Preschool apologized

So my 4 y/o sons preschool apologized to me today. My son see's someone through DART for social development who visits him at preschool (private). I recently told her we would not be going back there. The parents were very unwelcoming to me, and the teacher always seemed very annoyed by my son crying and getting upset (he's very introverted). While I understand that can be an annoyance and disrupting to your class, the school left a very sour taste in our mouth.

We told the DART teacher we were finding a new preschool. She said she'd talk to her about it. I got a call today and she apologized and said she'd hope to see us back next year and if there is anything she can do to make it up, let her know. The teacher went thru a divorce so anything that was inconvenient for her...she seemed very annoyed. He'll have a new set of teachers as he'll be in the 4 y/o/PREK room this year but still. What would you do?

mom23boys679

Asked by mom23boys679 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• find a new preschool. You should have to worry about how your child will be treated and be snobbed at by other parents. I've learned that if you have a bad feeling for some reason...go with it!
    NatesMommy118

Answer by NatesMommy118 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Did your son improve over the course of the year, and stop crying, and become a little more social? Did he learn anything from the experience? Was the program itself a good one? Did they stress academics in a fun and creative structured environment?

If your only issue is with the teachers/program director, and your son otherwise enjoyed the program and it was beneficial to him, then I say go back for the Pre-K program. Going back, your son may open up even more, because he's familiar with the building, he's older, and he might come out of his shell more with different teachers having a different approach.

Of course, you want to protect your child at all costs, but look at the program from HIS perspective and HIS best interest. Starting over in a new school, might set him back again or further.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• A 3 year old is too young for pre-school. Kids aren't developmentally ready for group experiences at that age. It's worse for an introvert. Most kids really are'nt ready for group learning experiences until they are 7. Many states don't require school until age 7.

If you are sending your son to pre-school to learn, he would be better off at home with you. Some people call day care pre-school. If you need day care the best choice is to have someone come to your home with or without her child/children. The second best choice is a woman that cares for him in her home and he is the only child she cares for for pay.

I would not send a boy younger than 6 to any kind of school.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Switch schools. If you are not happy with the school neither your child.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 3:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Don't worry about the other parents. You don't need to be apart of their circle, it's about your child's education not your social hour. Ya know? So don't worry about them and whether they accept you or not. If the school itself is good and really caters to your son's needs (aside from that one teacher, then stay. He'll have new teachers next year. If you move him now he might not be soo welcoming to a new environtment. It might set him back a little bit with have to adjust to new surroundings. So keep him where he knows to keep him moving forward.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would not send a boy younger than 6 to any kind of school.

***
    I completely disagree. What about children with developmental disabilities and delays? My BOYS beneftted GREATLY socially and academically from their preschool experiences! The TWO HOURS, two to three times per week was invaluable to them and me! They attended both a special education program and a separate private preschool.

I credit their early intervention preschool programs in conjunction with other therapies and my dedicated work with them as the reason why they are BOTH going into regular education classrooms this fall as 1st and 3rd graders. According to your theory, my 1st grader isn't technically old enough for school? And my 3rd grader would have only had 1 year of education thus far?

You cannot apply a "one size fits all" approach to children, when no two children are exactly alike and do not all grow and develop the same as their peers!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Gaill - My son is EXTREMELY socially behind. He won't befriend any children, so this is something he needs. Even if he doesn't go here, he HAS to go to preschool. There are no ands, ifs, or buts about it.
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would find a different preschool. It sounds like the director was embarrassed by the DART teacher telling her of your frustrations, and just wanted to smooth things over with you. I've found that the teachers are often a reflection of the director, I think you need someplace that you are comfortable with, and that understand the needs of your son better. There's no excuse for that teacher to act the way she did.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Gail, My son has went to preschool since he was 2.5 years old. He loves it! He has learned social skills, many new things, etc.

Btw, your statement about not sending boys to school till 7...well studies and laws do not back up your opinion.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree with you Mom2Just1. We have 2 y/o programs around here, and I plan on sending my 1 y/o there when the time comes around for him to attend. I plan on exposing my children to learning as early as possible. No reason to 'keep my kids to myself' because I want to.
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010