Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to earn some money. The only service I have to offer are some crafts for the home that I would like to charge a fee to show others how to make them...with them supplying their own materials from a list provided. I need ideas on how to do this legally without it being classified as a business. It would be fun and creative! Please help! All feedback welcome! Thank you.

I have a multitude of projects that I have been saving to do for myself...but I need money now...I work one day a week..not enough to pay the bills. These are professional looking projects that any one would be proud to display or give away...I need ideas on how to promote my idea...where to hold the class/workshop, what to call it, fair charge fee, how many should I demand to hold the class, does a newspaper ad reach the people I need to reach, is this something women and kids want to do? Can I make money doing something like this in my area, or should I revise my plan somehow...somewhere in there I know there is opportunity...but don't seem able to get my mind wrapped around I am reaching out to all of you wonderful ladies out there to help me figure this out...need to plan this for the very near future in the next few weeks..and how to have ongoing class/workshops like this to keep me making an income with crafts ?

Answer Question

Asked by burderopkid at 3:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • contact your local community ed and see if they are hiring instructors, mine is always looking for new people to teach new classes

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • If you are doing something for income and with profit as a motive, then it is a business.

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • If you make more than $600 a year it's a business.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 3:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • I don't know what type of area you live in.........very rural or a small town, etc but my SIL makes and sells handbags. She went around with some and showed them to local salon, gift shops that do not sell handbags, etc. Some now have one on display with her business cards. She has gotten a lot of customers that way and then the word of mouth starts. You could also advertise the fact that you give classes. Business cards are reasonably priced. Be very specific what you offer on the cards. Also, you could get someone to design you a website. Hope this is a help.

    Answer by elizabr at 3:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • Not that it's actual income, but I've been using Swagbucks. It's just a search engine. When you do searches you are awarded SwagBucks. You can trade your swagbucks in for gift cards. I've just started and I've already gotten $10 in Amazon gift cards. I'm going to save them and buy Christmas presents.
    Use this link to sign up

    Answer by LaurenMommyof2 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • Like another peep said... if you earn over $600 then the IRS considers it taxable income.

    Answer by WoodWitch at 3:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • thank you ladies...I guess I'm gong to do a business...we'll see..think I will contact the community ed department first...and see how that goes. I appreciate all of your answers...they were very helpful..thank again.

    Comment by burderopkid (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • since I will want to make more than $600 a month guess I need to figure on how to go into business with this...hmmm

    Comment by burderopkid (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • If it's just you, just file a schedule C with your taxes. I wouldn't go out and get an LLC right now or anything. Keep track of everything you make as well as everything you spend on the business. If your business takes off and you make beaucoup bucks, then you will probably have to form an LLC. Be prepared to pay self-employment tax, if you make a profit. I would start out by talking to an accountant.

    Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • If you earn more than $600, then you need to report the income to the IRS

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.