Baby refuses to sleep in crib.. help

I have a 7 month old who wont sleep in her own crib and always wants to co-sleep. I have seen some mothers who just lay their babies down and the baby just dozes off to sleep, HOW DO YOU DO IT????? Also my baby still wants to nurse at night and be nursed to sleep, Is this normal??? I love my little baby girl but I would love for her to establish some independence.. She will not take a bottle, sippy cup, or paci.. shes very stubborn lol Thank you for any advice!

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a mother of a high-needs/spirited child, check out this group - we may be able to help you in more ways than one. Your baby sounds a lot like our children.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3326

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Then take her back to your bed. I coslept with all three of mine until they were about 14 months. Then the transition to the crib was easier. But you have to get her used to sleeping outside of your arms. I started that slowly. The first night I moved the baby;s head away from me. His feet would still touch me. then after a few nights of him sleeping that way I moved him a little further away, so he wasn't touching me at all. Then a few nights later I would lay down with him until he was asleep and then slowly move away until I was off the bed. Then eventually I would cuddle him to sleep and put him in his crib.

If you take it in little baby steps it won't be as hard. But at this point I don't see why you don;t continue to cosleep. As long as everyone is comfortably sleeping, then what is the harm?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I personally co slept until my kids self-weaned and slept through the night (which for whatever reason happened at the same time LOL) Call me selfish ;o) but I liked my sleep and saw no point in getting up and going to get baby because I know if I get up and move around like that I'm up for the rest of the night, co-sleeping let me just go right back to sleep.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You'll save yourself stress if you let nature take it's course. 7 months is to young to night wean and expect independence. She's just a baby. Enjoy the closeness while it lasts.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Heck, my son co-slept until 5. LOL no issues moving him then. My kids will be the self wean co-sleep until whenever type.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• For all of human history babies have slept with their mothers and nurse at night. They still do in most of the world. It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3. After my first I just conted on my children waking at night until they were 3.

Sometimes you can lay a baby down once they get in deep sleep. This is usually about 20 min. after they have fallen asleep at the breast. Dr. William Sears talks about this in his books. You might try reading his books for support and tips. Your baby is not stubborn. Breastfed babies are not supposed to be able to suck on artificial nipples. 

Breastfed babies that won't drink from a sippy cup will sometimes drink with a straw. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Im sure you've probably tried various things at this point...however, I am a mom of 3. My first girl was sometimes a little hard to put down, but I found that if her bed time routine was kept consistant - dinner, bath, play for a little bit, bottle, ...and a couple tough nights of letting her cry it out (not for real long...15 min)....she eventually go the picture and put herself to sleep. My 2nd child was easier...also kept to a constant routine...and liked me to sing to her (bless her, I have a terrible singing voice!)...but would put herself to sleep afterwards. My 3rd baby (currently 1)....slept great up until age 1 (4mnths ago). After that..she'd constantly wake up upset...and not sleep until I brought her in bed with me. 2 mnths ago...I learned she has food allergies...so, I'm guessing she was also experiencing discomfort from the allergies and sleeping w/me was comforting ... Could it be something is bothering her?
    texasmom010409

Answer by texasmom010409 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• By 7 months I laid my kids down and they went right to sleep on their own, but I started doing it really early before they established other bedtime routines. I don't know that there's an easy answer at 7 months - old enough to have an established routine (nursing to sleep), but not old enough to CIO.

Answer by missanc at 5:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would of given ANYTHING to be able to nurse my children. I never produced milk. You are so lucky, but at the same time I do cherish my sleep. We have always started babies out in the crib from week 2. Week 1 they slept in the bassinet in the living room with one of us on the couch. Never in our bedroom, because it is so cold in there. We have a window unit, my husband has asthma and has to sleep where it is extremely cold... way to cold for a baby. Things I do to get my babies to bed is... always do something relaxing before bed. Read, massage, or just calm down watching a tv show. I give their night time bottle... make sure they aren't to hot in there pj's.. usually a onsie will do. and then put them in their bed, start the mobile and crack the closet door, so just a little light is on in the room. then they just snooze away for 12 hours a night! I would trade it in for breastfeeding in a heart beat though!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I sometimes suspect those mothers have slipped baby a mickey. **grin**

They ALL sleep on their own WHEN THEY ARE READY. Doesn't matter what mom does (unless she DID slip baby a mickey), because baby will sleep or not based on BABY'S readiness. Which is why there is no such thing as ONE solution. ALL solutions eventually work because baby grows into the ability to fall asleep on their own. When baby is not ready, no method will work.

More sleep is lost by parents worrying about getting baby to sleep than would be if the parents just let baby do his or her thing.

Yours hasn't reached that "sleep on her own" point yet. It's fine. Not a problem as far as BABY is concerned. May not be too much fun for *you*...but that's the mom gig for you. Nowhere near as fun as advertised!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010