Did I make a good decision?

I was planning to home school my daughter. When I asked her to watch a tutorial twice she walked away saying, "uh huh",and the third time she started watching tv. So I figured that that was a good idea of what to expect from trying to teach her at home. So I canceled the home schooling and I am just putting her back in public school.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 3:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sounds like it. Some kids are open to the idea of their parents being teachers and some aren't. I guess they don't realize we taught them long before school (manners, talking, walking, eating, and such). Some just do better in that classroom setting. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• yes.That was a clear sign of her inability to take charge of her education and self-motivate.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes...But stay involved
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No. You can learn how to get the behavior you want from your child. You could start with the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen. You can join online or local home school groups to learn how to be an effective parent/teacher. There are parenting classes like PET and STEP that may be offered in your community.

Look into unschooling philosophy and see if that works for you. Find out all the options in your state. There are many home schooling on the mothering.com discussion boards. There are articles about homeschooling.

The situation you describe sounds like your failure, not hers. Homeschooling is worth it. I homeschooled my 3 sons and was a single mom.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes some kids take better direction from and outside source.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't know how old this child is, but home schooling requires a huge commitment from the parent. You should be watching the tutorial with her. Talking about it, doing projects related to it, etc. You should be following a set curriculum. Some areas require the curriculum to be approved by the local school department/board. If this is the type of involvement you were thinking of then home schooling can be terrific. I have neighbors who are home schooling and they are always doing activities, going on field trips, getting together with other home schoolers, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You could always remove everything that would distract her from school work i.e... tv, cellphone, music, clothes except for five changes of plain clothes, toys, friends, boys, etc. She can earn things back one at a time as she gets her act together.

Why did you decide to homeschool? If it was because of trouble at school, sending her back is not going to be a good solution.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010