am i a bad mother?

ok i have 2 kiddos my oldest is 3 and my youngest is 1 so my 3 yr old pushed my 1 yr old and i sent him to time out and told him it wasn't right. but now hes crying a lung out on while hes on time out . i can't help it but to feel horrible . i usually send him to time out and he just goes and doesnt cry .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes... you are terrible.. Kidding no, of course not.. That is what time out is supposed to be .. a punishment.. stay strong mom!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You're not a bad mother. He did something wrong and is getting punished for it. He'll learn.

My 3.5 year old still screams his head off about being put in time out. I've taught him to take deep breaths to calm down and it works. I tell him I wont start his timer until he is quiet so if he wants to scream and cry all day then he can sit in time out and do it. He usually settles down pretty quickly after that.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Of course your not a bad mom. How long does he stay in time out?
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You are not a bad mother! Make sure you explain calmly why he went to time out and make sure they both get praise for doing things right plus tons of hugs and kisses.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No, you're not.

Did you ask him why he pushed? He probably feels like he had a reason to do it. No one likes to be punished when they didn't do anything wrong, KWIM?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No you're not a bad Mom. Hold your ground with him, this is him testing you to see if you let him get out of time out. Just ignore his screams, he'll get over and learn that it doesn't work.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ugh! I hate it when they cry like that. I feel like crying w them! Lol! Op was right, he probably doesn't understand why he was punished and thought pushing Lo was justified. After time out, remind him to say he's sorry and we don't push or hit others. Then see if he can explain what happened. Let him know ur listening to him but ur still firm on no pushing
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• no you're not, it's just the fun part of being a mother, always the bad guy, the serious one, the disaplinary(sp) person, etc. what you did was right, we have a 2 1/2 and a 7m. old. What you discribed(sp) happens all the time. You did just fine. What I do is after how many minutes of the age that they are, after they have stopped crying, talking, so on, they are allowed to come out of time out. Then we have a short talk about what they did wrong, automatically, they say they are sorry to me, and whoever they did something against.
    Lilbaby2009

Answer by Lilbaby2009 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You are not a bad mom! you're doing whats right
    devinebeauty

Answer by devinebeauty at 7:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No. Kids need discipline.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010