Obese Children..

First off, let me say that I do not want to offend anyone at all! These are just my views and I was wondering if anyone felt the same way. Does it bother anyone when they see a whole family walk into somewhere(particularly fast food chains) and every single person in the family is overweight? I feel so bad for these children! It makes me think their parents are not teaching them a healthy lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I understand people have thyroid or other problems that may prevent them from being a healthy weight, but when a whole family is, I just think they are lazy. Anyone else feel this is unacceptable or feel bad for the kids?

Morgs7531642

Asked by Morgs7531642 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I won't lie...I automatically catch my self thinking it too. And I AM obese. My son is not though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• As a parent you are obligated to keep you child safe and healthy. Obesity isn't safe or healthy.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Healthy living is hard to teach children without leading by example. Like smokers who are shocked and angry when they catch their teen with cigarettes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I used to think that before I worked in a restaurant. Then I just felt bad for them. As soon as anyone even a little overweight would come it, half the crew would laugh and say "better load up the grill, there's a fatty coming!" It was so rude. I lost count of the people I fired for being mean like that. Especially when they waited until the customer was in ear shot and said it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If a family of obese people are walking into a fast food restaurant then I think it's safe to say it isn't a thyroid condition.

Yes, I feel bad for the kids that I see who are obese. It makes me sad because I know they will be judged and teased because of their weight and it's not their fault.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I feel that way whether the family is obese or not. You can be skinny and extremely unhealthy as well and taking your kids into that place is just as bad in either case. I don't believe in moderation either...I will not moderately give my children junk and rubbish that just puts a huge burden on the body and will result in rubbish health sooner or later.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think that all the time. Sometimes I want to start a free informational business for people who are obese, so they can learn how to eat healthy and how to get the weight off and keep it off. It just makes me sad that so many people are having problems with their weight in today's society. (I'm currently overweight, but only by 10lbs, and it looks good on me).
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree sad but true. Lead by example I say.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think that these parents don't listen to their pediatrician. I'm assuming that the kids are being weighted at any given doctor's visit. Therefore these parents are being told by the doctors to change their children's diet if they don't want their children to be at risk for obesity related diseases.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 3:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It does bother me because it is obvious that the children are learning bad habits and unealthy choices of food. I had hypothyroidism for a long time and had to take thyroxin every day. BUT, I was never more than about 5 pounds overweight.
    Our family had good nutrition. We ate small portions, no fast foods and no fried foods. I have to thank my Mom and Grandma for starting me out in a healthy way many years ago.
    Today I am 68 and not overweight and I feel like I am about 30 . REALLY! I think it is because I have not been obese...even when pregnant. So...yes, I feel sorry for families who are obese. They are not living to their potential. They will have many health problems and shorter lifespans.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010