C-Section Questions.

I am being induced August 4th with my 2nd child, and my doctor has informed me that with my blood pressure issue I may need a c-section. That and as of 35 weeks this baby is weighing about 8lbs 10oz. I have a 3 year old who was 6lbs 14oz when she was born and I have her vaginally. I am terrified of having a c-section. Can anyone give me any advice or tell me what I should expect should I need to have one?

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a C-section with my first child, because he was in the breech position. I did not like it. It takes 12 weeks to heal and everytime you laugh, sneeze, cough or anything else stressing in that area, rips the muscles again. I would rather give birth vaginally then go through the C-section again. Not to sound negative but it is surgery and a long process to heal. Plus, you can not have a regular shower for a couple of weeks. Even to lift the baby will put stress on it. The surgery itself was good, everything did come out fine. If you have questions, e-mail me and we can talk. Good luck.
    Valerie_2

Answer by Valerie_2 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I've had 3 c-sections. My first was wonderful, in hospital for 3 days came home and was doing laundry the next day. 2nd not so good:( I only stayed 2 nights because the hospital was so full and I didn't feel they were helping me enough to stay another night and knew I would get more rest at home. Took much longer to recover too. My DS was born at 6lbs 9oz and I couldn't carry him 15ft without being in pain (took about 3.5 wks to feel better). 3rd went good! Not as good as the 1st but much better then the 2nd. Every case and every person are different. Good luck!
    BuckeyeTinyTots

Answer by BuckeyeTinyTots at 3:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I hope you can deliver vaginally, but please don't be terrified if you have to have a c-section. I have had two. Talk to your Dr about your fears and ask a lot of questions. You can discuss the kind of anesthetics available. You can read up on having a c-section to put your mind at ease. Your DH can probably be with you and you can see the baby as soon as it is born. It took me about 6 weeks to feel 100% but some girls are feeling great sooner than that. If you can have help at home please try to get it. I wish you all the best
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What is your doctor's c-section rate? What is your hospital's c-section rate?

As long as your blood pressure is being managed, it has no bearing on whether or not you can have your baby vaginally.
    In addition, up your protein intake, eat salt to taste, and make sure you are keeping active, like walking.

You can always get a second opinion as well.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ive had 2 csections and will have another when this baby is born... my first one wasn't great because i had an old fashioned dr who didnt like his job... he did a vertical incision and just did a crappy job.. it took me about 3-4 weeks to heal.. with my second i had an awesome dr! did the more typical horizontal incision.. had my staples out before i ever left the hospital 3 days later.. was hauling both my little ones around with no problem in a week or two... much less pain and problems.. so really just anything you are unsure about ask your dr.. make sure you are comfortable with them and so on.. and the dr is right about the blood pressure.. the pain of labor can cause it to sky rocket and put you and the baby in uneeded distress! good luck momma!
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 4:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I had to have a c-section with my twins because they were both breech. It scared me a lot. I was afraid of the procedure itself and of the recovery. The time in the operating room was very short (30 minutes total with two babies, so I expect it's even shorter with one). The anesthesia made my nose itch a lot, and it also made me very nauseous for a while (I really wasn't ready for visitors that day, but they were looking at the babies and not me). I was up and walking the day after the twins were born, and while I was pretty sore it wasn't unbearable. I'd heard about not showering too, but that wasn't true for me; I HAD to take a shower before they'd release me.  The recovery was not nearly as bad as I had expected it to be.  I know it's scary, but if it does happen that way for you just know it's usually not as bad as the bad stories you hear about.   

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• First of all, stop worrying. I was scared to death when I found out I would have to have one, and all of my worry was for nothing. For starters, the pain is not nearly as bad as you'd imagine. Before the surgery, and during, (other than the spinal block, which is uncomfortable) I felt no pain at all. Even after the surgery, they give you plenty of pain meds. The only pain I felt was obviously from my incision, but honestly, it just felt like I had done a TON of sit-ups, but it was totally manageable. I was walking around the same evening that I had my c section, and with little pain. Th incision is also a lot smaller than you'd expect, and now I can hardly even see mine. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me. Honestly, there are risks with a c section, but they aren't very high and most likely you'll be totally fine. If you do have to have one, you'll be okay. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I've had two c-sections. Some advice is, during the csection JUST BREATHE it will be over in 30 minutes!! Just focus on your breathing. Maybe bring some music to listen to. 2. Request your baby be brought with you into recovery with you, if you are wanting to breast feed. 3. Get up and try to sit on the side of the bed the next day, and try to take a shower on day 2. It will feel like you can't do it, but by day 3 or 4 I was walking the halls. The faster you get up and move, the faster you will heal. I am always better in less than 1 week. I'm not to good with pain, and im not fit at all LOL. I'm a plus size Mama! Don't over due it by no means, but do do more than just lay in bed after day 2. Good luck mama! In the end however you deliever your baby, just relax and enjoy the day... The first day of your sweet ones life!! Congrats!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Plus, you can not have a regular shower for a couple of weeks."

I took a regular shower while I was still in the hospital. They encouraged it, and my incision healed perfectly within a couple of weeks.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh, and I want to add. I was really scared of not being able to see my son, but I saw and kissed him right after he was out of my stomach. They sewed me up in what seems like 5 minutes (but was probably about 30), while my husband held him, and then he was in my arms. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010