When do you use timeout?

The only

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 3:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Never. It's an ineffective form of parenting. I know better ways.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If I have warned her not to do something once and she persists on doing it, she gets a timeout. Now if it's a reoccuring issue day in and day out, after several days, she no longer gets a warning but goes straight to timeout...

We have been doing timeouts since about 14 months so I rarely have to give one. She knows that there is no second warning so she has learned to stop the first time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh, she's 3 now
    Jademom07

• if redirecting doesnt work, I send my son to his room. He's 2, so only for about 2 minutes. Seems to work every time because he's a totally different child afterwards lol. We are against hitting in this family so no spanks here!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have found the redirecting just doesn't work... We use timeouts (one min per year) as well as other things... Spanking, room time, loss of toys, standing in the corner and some others depending on the situation... My kids are now to the point where time outs are working less and less, they are actually getting in to trouble while in time out, so we are switching over to corner, room time or other forms of timeout more and more...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Not sure what happened at the top but here's what it said:

I have a 3y DS. The only discipline i have ever used is redirecting, which works really well for us. I just wondered when other moms use timeouts.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We use room time when a rule has been broken. The only warning we give is the first time something occurs - after that it's a rule. I understand redirecting with infants and young toddlers, but I don't understand how it works with an older toddler who has done something that is unacceptable like hitting someone else.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My DS is an only child so we don't have as many "trials" as most families.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I hope redirecting continues to work for you, but time out can be a useful tool when used correctly. Lots of good resources online to read up on how it is done correctly.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my son is a only child too and i have always used redirecting with him unless he persisits and do the same thing over and over even though he has been told not do it again then he gets to timeout in which he has to sit there untill i say he can move but that was when he was younger now that he's a teenager, he don't like getting into trouble for anything cause i take away ALL and EVERY GAME SYSTEMS in the house till he gets it through his head that is not the way of handling his anger or mood.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010