Would like suggestions

We have a friend delivering a baby next Tuesday that is expected to live only a few hours. Her funeral is scheduled for Friday, what do you suggest as far as gifts, flowers, cards-whatever- for a family in this situation?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 4:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• simple frown

How heartbreaking.  I think what she need is not a materialistic things but just your presentence for now.  After a week or so give her a Baby Keepsake Box so she can keep her baby’s mementos. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh,I'm so sorry! I'd suggest flowers for when they go home,not in the hospital. A card hand delivered to them. just be there to help out with food and house cleaning,babysitting,etc for their mourning period. i lost my daughter at 34 weeks in 2000,and the cards i recieved were very nice.My heart goes out to them.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• OMG that's horrible! Flowers I guess with a condolence card.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am so sorry. Are they asking for donations to be made to any favorite charity? That is one idea. I personally like sending flowers to the parents' home. And maybe a sympathy card as well. If you are a close friend then being a good listener as they grieve would be a really special gift. My condolences.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh my...I'm so sorry. You could get her a Shadow box for the child's items. Any kind of keepsakes for her to remember the baby. Maybe a special photo album. So heartbreaking....I hope they're wrong and the baby is ok.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i would take flowers and just be as supportive as you can for the family... i cant imagine what they are going through and i'm sure they will need all the support they can get... my little cousin died shortly after birth buti was to young to remember so im not sure how everyone handled it... i know that i gave her my two favorite little necklaces to try and help.. i was almost 4.. my aunt still has those necklaces hanging in her room... sometimes the smallest gestures make the biggest impact.
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 4:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ALSO...........if they have older children maybe you could do some babysitting to give the parents some private time. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• OMG my prayers go out to the family. Tha twould be very tough. i would say quality time a hug... a hug can be the perfect thing!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• That is so incredibly sad. I can't even imagine. Just offer them any help they could ask for. Omg, that is absolutely heartbreaking.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sorry to hear about that, J. In addition to the usual stuff (cards, or flowers, or whatever), it might be appropriate to help supply some meals for them, particularly if they have other children. When my sister passed away, family friends and neighbors were so awesome, bringing casseroles and other food for my family--obviously my parents couldn't even think about grocery shopping and meal planning during that time. Don't know if that's appropriate for your situation w/ your friend, but thought I'd mention it. My condolences to them.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010