Do you sometimes feel sorry for the step kids?

I hear about friend's step kids or ones others know...and all the stories seem to be basically them being an inconvenience to the new way of life. Or now that things changed discipline and stability isn't a priority a lot of them just throw up their hands. What do you think about it? Were you a step child? I became one before I was 18 and I'm glad it happened then, I couldn't IMAGINE going through that for more than the year I had to... (and I'm SURE there are great step child situations..)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• yeah.. my dad remarried when i was 5, and my mom remarried when i was 13. it was horrible! they turned my life upside down. we hated eachother. i dont even want to go into it.. it was the worst times of my life, until i moved out at 17.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My mom left when I was really young and my dad remarried when I was 8 and my step mom raised me. She is the only mother figure I have ever had and I am grateful for everything I have because of her.

That being said, I have hear of other situations where people aren't as lucky as I am, and yea, that sucks.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I love my step Momma, she and my Mom were a force to be reckoned with when we were growing up. The two of them came to the conculsion that none of us kids got away with CRAP with the two of them tag teaming LOL. My Step Mom loves us and we look after her just like shes our own Mom
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I was a stepchild and had an awesome experience. I had a mom a dad and cool guy around all the time =) They all loved me very much. They all also loved me and my brothers more than they hated eachother, so everyone got along for the sake of us. My dad and stepfather even played cards together. I grew up thinking divorced families were happy. Then I married a man with a son. Sadly, his ex-wife is a monster, bipolar, etc... She has done whatever she can to make trouble for us for the past 12 years....I didn't even meet my husband until they were divorced for THREE years, so its not like I was the other woman or anything like that. She just HATES us (DH mostly) and has it out for us. Sadly it is my stepson that pays the price. She used him like a pawn all of these years. As a stepmother, my hands are totally tied, and its situations like this that make me understand why some throw up their hands.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter is a step child to my Husband. He actually insists she spends time with us as a family. He can't have children so he really was excited to be a Dad.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am a step mom and I LOVE my daughter! she and I are very close, bio mom and I don't always see eye to eye but we try to get along for her. I have heard stories like what you've posted, about the step kids being a problem and an inconvinience most of the time and it saddens me; maybe my situation is different. I saw her grow up since the age of 2 she is now almost 14, even though I went through hell being a part of her life since a young age and both her bio parents being immature and putting me in the middle. I had a step dad and we didn't get along all that great but I moved out of my mom's house at a young age so it didn't really affect me as much as it did my little brother, he went through hell, name calling and things like that-we still talk about it till this day. We can laugh about it now but I am sure it was very hurtful to my brother at the age of 9 and being called nasty names.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010