Can i do that?

Can i give my dog just wet food!? she is a shih tzu 10 month old and i just got her 3 days ago and she hate dry food ive try 3 different brand already and she dont seem to like it. the previous owner use to mix dry and wet food. she love just wet food is that ok??

dianaNbryanMami

Asked by dianaNbryanMami at 4:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pets

• Mix it, do some wet food and add a little dry to it, and eventually add more and more dry until you're left with only dry.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yeah, it's fine. As long as it's dog food, made for dogs her age and size, it doesn't matter if it's wet (canned) or dry (bag).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i dont see why not. you could just transition her slowly. mix a little more dry food in each time you feed her. but health wise i dont see why not.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• when i mix the food she would eat just the wet food! i just though it was better to give her what she likes! is al ittle bit expensive to buy to different type of food!!
    dianaNbryanMami

Comment by dianaNbryanMami (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Heres a link that might help you choose how to feed you dog =) http://dogfoodchat.com/wet-or-dry-dog-food/
    Linda_PF

Answer by Linda_PF at 4:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You can, but it might make her poop really runny. I have a Shih tzu, and I have to mix the wet and dry or else she gets really runny, almost diarrhea-like poops, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It's ok for her to eat wet food. Most vets encourage wet food but most of us who use dry do it because of the convenience and ease of clean up. I agree with mixing it first as that's what's she's used to and it will be more familiar to her and help her with the transition to a new home - even if she just eats the wet food. If there is a sudden shift to wet food, it does impact the stools so be prepared for that.

Good luck. Shih tzu's are so cute.

Pat
    Amigram.com Life’s Happy Announcements
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 10:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you don't mind loose poo, then I'm sure it's fine. Our two oldest dogs get a mix of wet and dry. The best thing I found was this "dog gravy" sort of stuff that you put on the dry food. It just coats it nicely, so the dog cannot just pick out the wet food.
    CarrieLeester

Answer by CarrieLeester at 12:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No. I wouldn't. It'll eventually eat it and won't starve.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2010