anyone know anything bout paychecks

My husbands employer took a vacation this week. Now my husband gets paid every week. Friday he will get a paycheck tom for 45 hrs even though he worked about 75 hrs. Now on Tuesday he will get another paycheck for the hours he worked over 45 hrs. But it seemed to me thaat we will get screwed by getting taxed twice. Does anyone know if what they r doing is legal? I'm not trying to whine, just asking a question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are the checks given at different times so the employer doesn't have to pay overtime? Look into that. Although some employers are exempt from paying overtime. I do not believe taxes are taken out twice.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• He is not getting taxed twice. He is getting taxed on the 45 hours and on the 30 hours. By concern would be is he getting time and a half for the hours he worked over 40?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The taxes are a percentage of the total, not just one amount. So no, you will not get over-taxed.

Btw, even if they do tax you more than necessary, you get credit for it on your tax return for the year, so it is all accounted for. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sounds like they are trying to screw your husband out of overtime pay, which is time and a half. Sometimes the overtime pay can put you into a higher tax bracket and can actually cause more taxes to come out of a check.. It is illegal I believe, but something you should think about..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Where could I find the answer to this question?
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Contact your state's department of labor.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010