Love and Logic Parenting style

So I was asking some questions about tantrums and discipling my 16 month old earlier and one of the mom's suggested this. I've been reading about it seems like a very good style. Just wondering if anyone knew any good sites to read more about it? Also if you have tried it how did it work for you?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know our community education offers a class for parents to take, I am planning on taking it but I don't know much about it as a style yet..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Hmm... I've never heard of it, but from the name I would think it sounds rather close to our house. We are very liberal "free range" parents, who tend to rely on common sense and logic over studies or parenting books, although we are big on self education... For us it's working rather well... Our children are happy and healthy and they know they're loved more than anything... Which is most important!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I got this from the site "kids develop an internal voice that says, "I wonder how much pain I'm going to cause for myself with my next decision?"

I disagree with that to be honest. I want my child to do things because he wants to not because he worries about consequences. I think that humans are good and that choosing to help others and to be good is something we can learn from our parents and without the need to fear consequences. I do a lot of things in my life because I want to and I LOVE giving to people and doing good things. I don't do things because I fear consequence or what will happen to me, so I wouldn't want my kids to make decisions based on that either.

I don't know anything about it..at first I thought it was similar to Naomi Aldort's Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves but it seems from the above statement it isn't.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Our local school district offers a free class twice each year. We took the class and I was hooked. I ordered several books and CDs from loveandlogic.com, but I understand many are also available through the library. I expect there is a pretty good description on the Love and Logic website. There is also a Love and Logic group on Cafemom; it's not very active, but you could read through any posts that interested you. Some of the main guidelines with love and Logic are: no anger, threats, lectures, or warnings, and let the consequences do the teaching. It has helped us a lot with our toddlers, but it has also helped us with our now teen-aged daughter - she has ADHD, and she has become MUCH more responsible since we started using L&L.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Keyaziz: Allowing your children to LEARN from their mistakes while they are young and the cost is small is a good idea. It is smart to think about consequences BEFORE you do something, and if you have no experience doing that as a child you're bound to make some significant mistakes as an adult, some of which could cost you dearly. Someone who disregards consequences might think nothing of driving 120 MPH without a seatbelt on, but I want my children to understand that doing so could get them a ticket or possibly even cost them their life if they are in an accident.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I've been using Love & Logic since my kids were 16 months, now they are 15 & 12 years old. They are beautiful, responsible, respectful kids. I became such a fan I started teaching the Love and Logic Program. I have a ton of free resources on my website to help you get started and a free report that teaches 3 of the 12 skills to help parents remain calm, get cooperation, and deliver effective consequences. Hope you continue to learn about the program. Call or email me with any questions. www.headandheartparent.com
    LoveLogicCoach

Answer by LoveLogicCoach at 9:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010