What do you do...

when a 7 year old hands you back his birthday present and says he doesn't like it? His mother is expecting me to go get him another gift but I don't think I should. What would you do?

Juggalette0327

Asked by Juggalette0327 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell the kid "fine, you don't have to have it". I would not get another one and I wouldn't expect someone to get another gift for my child. Sure, a kids not going to like everything they get but it's rude to just hand it back and say you don't like it. And it's rude of her to expect you to get another one.
    I would either take the gift back to the store or give it to another kid (my own or not) who would appreciate it. And not get that child anything else until they can learn some manners and respect.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'd tell him that he can donate his gift to someone who would appreciate it then be done with it. His mother expecting you to buy something else is some nerve.....she should teach her child to be thankful and appreciative he got a gift in the first place.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'd tell him tuff S&*T!! That's totally rude!! I would be so embarrassed if one of my kids did something like that!!! Hell no you are not obligated to get him another gift.... ever!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would seriously question my friendship with that person, and their parenting abilities.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• uh..i'd take it, return it, and put the money back in my purse. better luck with the next schmuck, little boy!
    seriously, his mom thinks you should go buy something else?? don't do it, honey!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would say well, I very sorry that you don't like it. I tried to pick something you would enjoy. I guess you could donate it or have your mom return it at the store.

That would really irk me. I would tell the mom where you got it and she can exchange it if she really feels the need to encourage her childs ungrateful attitude.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• WOW! Oh,I'd take it back...and that would be the end of my gift giving to that child! They both have alot of nerve! I had my husband's cousin's kid open her gift card from us and go "this is it?" and flung it down. We have not given her anything since. We never got an apology from her or her mom either.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• dullscissors i agree with you! That is rude of the mom and child! what a brat!!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would think that the mother of that child needs her head examined...I would take the gift and not buy another one...the end lol
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Haha. Wow. The mother is even ruder than the kid. I asked my husband, just for fun, what he would do. He says he would take it back and return it...and keep the money. Then he'd tell the kids parents that it's nice that they taught their child that is was better to give than to receive, lmao. I kinda have to agree with him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010