Are any other moms finding out that diapers dont really go up to the size they say?

My son uses mostly huggies and im finding that the sizing dosent fit to him. He was in size nb for two weeks, grew out of them before the size says he should. Now he is out growing size 1 and he is not yet 2 months and is only about 12 pounds.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my daughter. She was skinny but long. We would have to go up a size long before the weight thing said. They were just too low and short on her.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, but I didn't have that problem until my son reached size 5/6. I have found that Luvs are a bit bigger than most other brands.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I loved Huggies for my son, hes 3.5 and still in diapers (were working on potty training). he wears size 4s and is 29lbs, he's been in them for awhile though. Right now my daughter is only 3 weeks old and I'm working through my stash. I think I might go with Huggies again but I'm not sure yet. She was in NBs for a little over a week. Shes in size 1s now and they are starting to get tight on her thighs. I will probably go to 2s when I need to buy them next week. She is almost 11lbs!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• After the first couple of sizes with my first baby, I stopped even looking at the weight range on the package. When the diapers start to look like they're getting small (usually well before the upper weight for that size, and sometimes well below the lower weight for the next size), I use the rest of the pack we have, and then start buying the next size up. Usually the first few diapers of the new pack look huge, but they grow into them pretty quickly. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We were always sizing up well before the weight guidelines; I started ignoring them and watching the fit- once the diaper got about an inch below her bellybutton and started to not cover all of her bottom evenly/thoroughly, we went up a size. If we let them get too small, they leaked constantly because the leg holes fit weird on her after a certain point.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I noticed it. My DD fit in NB's for a week & fit in size 1 until 2 months. They kept leaking so I tried size 2 & those leaked too. She's 9 months & has been in size 3 since she was 2 months. It's almost time for a size 4 because size 3's are starting to get to the leaking point. Diapers just fit weird to her body.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yep. i have found with huggies that when it says a max, he outgrows it well before the max. He usually switches at the first poundage on the next size. For example. Size 3s go up to like 25 pounds (could be more, maybe 28, but i cant remember exactly), but size 4s start at 22lb. And right when he hit 22lb he started peeing through the size 3s and had to go to 4s. See what i mean?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We switched to size 2 at about 12 pounds too. DD will still fit into a 1 at about 13 pounds, but they leak like crazy. I found that this is the best indicator of when to go up a size, the leak factor is way more accurate than the pound sizing. Diaper companies can't make diapers to the individual baby, it's all averages.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I started ignoring the weight guidelines when my oldest was a baby.  Every baby is different so they fit different but I don't think a single one of my kids fit in a diaper until the weight limit.  We always knew it was time to go up a size when they started leaking.  My newborn is wearing size 1-2 right now and is only like 8lbs.  The size 1s just leaked every single diaper no matter what we did.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2010