Authoritative parenting?

Can you explain it in short to me?
How would you handle a 4yo that throws constantly after 2years of being told not to, of being put in the corner, of having toys taken away, and even smacking their hand?
How would you handle a 4yo that doesnt seem to have self-control?
How do you handle a 4yo that your constantly taking toys away from because he is miss treating them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a wonderful book called Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves, by Naomi Aldort; you should be able to find it at your local library. You can learn more at www.naomialdort.com 

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• One of the main things I've learned in my short time as a parent is that communication is key. We have to be CLEAR with the boundaries, the warnings, and the actual discipline. If we don't follow through or if we punish without them being aware that it's coming, it can have a negative effect. That's all I got! I hope she straightens out for you. Sometimes kids just go through phases that seem impossible. : (
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010