Fitting punishment?

My girls have had the worst behavior today. This morning they were yelling, arguing, kicking, they even kicked my computer. So I took the priveledge of using electronics away for the rest of the day. They calmed down a little and they helped me do the dishes so I let them on the patio to play for awhile. Next thing I know they were gone. I was outside yelling for the and I saw them exit out of the cornfield next door. They had to go through a field of long grass just to get to the corn. We live in an area with copperheads, black widows, recluses, and ticks. My 7 yo is allergic to just about everything outside. Also....the HARVESTER WAS IN THE FIELD WORKING! I don't even know what to do with them. I gave them benedryl, showered them, then left them on their beds and there they have to stay until dinner time. Any ideas? Ages 6 and 7.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 4:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For staying the their own yard, I put locks on the gates that way they can't open them. For the grounding tho how about taking it away (computers) for an hour or so & maybe even helping around the house then playing again if they behave? I've done this & still use this method with my kids. Computer or Wii is the only thing that they really love playing. It's good to stick to your guns tho with what ever method of grounding you use. Meaning you say it then stick with it.Otherwise they feel you are easily influenced to let them get away with just playing again.
    plstrm

Answer by plstrm at 1:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Uh oh,Benadryl! I'd say grounding to their rooms for a whole day only coming out to use the toilet and to eat.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• oh,ok good! i figured you were gonna have people on your ass for that!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would revoke outside privileges until they could learn to stay in their own yard. I think the swollen face may be a good natural punishment as well!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ditto the grounding to their room for at least 1/2 a day and no electronics/tv/movies/ANYTHING until they learn to obey, not only was that dangerous for them but it obviously scared you 1/2 to death to not know where they were and they need to realize that. Have u sat them down and talked about why they're not allowed out of your yard and WHY they are stuck in their room? sometimes kids don't realize that we're doing stuff for THEIR safety and think we're just being mean :P my 7yo tells me that all the time "you're so mean!" @@
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• grounding sounds good! explain what they did wrong and tell them that u are worried about their safety! sounds like u have ur hands full good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I should have also said that my 7 yo's face is swollen, red, and she has a rash all over her body...hence the benedryl. It wasn't for the sleepy effects.
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010