Does this sound good?

I have to put a special insert into my friends wedding invites, and she wants a pot luck , i want it to sound like the pot luck is more of a wedding present, or a start of a recipe collection for my friend, does this sound ok?

*Crystal & Brian are registered at
Target, Walmart, bed, bath, & beyond, and William Sonma.
The Reception will have a pot luck with recipe cards so that Crystal can start a recipe collection.

*names changed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How about: In lieu of gifts, the bride and groom would like to have a Pot Luck Dinner and your favorite recipe to start a recipe box?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• So she is expecting gifts from her registry AND expecing people to bring food for the reception? The reception is about treating the guests to a great meal since they spent money on a gift, travel, etc. etc.....expecting them to also provide food is tacky. If money is an issue she can find an inexpenive caterer or make the food herself. But a put luck and a gift is not proper ettiquette.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i don't know that its a good idea to ask guests to bring the food..unless its a small family gathering and everyone knows the couple is on a very strict budget. its kinda tacky IMO.
    i think it would sound better to ask the guests to tuck in a favorite recipe, say, in a recipe box/container located at the reception table. just serve cake and punch, and call it a day.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I know, i think it's tacky to, but i can't really convince her other wise..

Btw, she is a bit slow if you know what i mean, so she can't really cook...yet (she will have to know very soon)
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yeah.....thats a little tacky.I wouldn't be mentioning the registry if you're doing a potluck. I'd cut my losses and hope that they get what they want for gifts if people want to get them.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well even if she can't cook that much or afford a caterer, perhaps someone or several family members GIFT can be paying for the caterer
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• her family is poor..and the grooms side isn't even talking to him.

I'll try to see if she thinks just cake and punch will work..and maybe just have the shorten their reception. She is pretty set on the whole pot luck thing though :(
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't think this sounds like a good idea. A wedding is not a place for a pot luck. I think including a recipe with a gift from the registry would be okay, but not the pot luck.
    momtofiveboys

Answer by momtofiveboys at 5:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I always figured if you don't have the cash to throw an event,don't have one. What will they do if people DON"T bring food? How about delaying the reception and having a potluck get together at a later date? A cookout perhaps? this way its not so obvious.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010