Bed time routine

So I started a bed routine for my soon who is almost 10weeks now, but the trouble is, my husband isn't doing what i'd like to be done, when ever he gives me a break, he does completly different things then what i would do. I've heard that it's better for the child if they have the same routine. I mean, the baby does fall asleep..
I can't really talk to him about this since it might make it so he doesn't want help put the baby to sleep..
What should I do? Advice?

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 4:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• First of all you should be able to talk to your husband about anything. Second of all it is good for the baby to have the same routine but changing it up a little in my opinion wont hurt anything as long as its not extremely different from your routine. Talkto your hubby! Communication is the key..good luck!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 5:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i agree with Fairy Wings. it is good for the baby to have the same routine every day but changing it up won't hurt either just as long its not much difference in the routines.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• On nights he doesn't take a bath, i give him a massage(after putting him in footed pjs), read him a couple of books, massage him again, feed him, then rock him to sleep. My husband carries him around the house, or puts him in his rocker and turns on the vibration and then massages him a little.
    I'll try, he just gets really defensive when i try to bring up stuff like this..well, ussaly he does, and then he'd get dramatic and avoid putting the baby to bed..and say that i'm being a prick even if i bring it up nicely. Maybe i'm just assumign the worst though..
    madamlinwe

Comment by madamlinwe (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Doing something different on occasion isn't going to hurt anything, in fact, it may be beneficial for your baby to know that there are other ways to go to sleep. I've never had a rigid schedule for any of my 3 children and never had an issue with sleep. The important thing is that your husband is spending time with the baby, not that he follows your routine to the letter. If your baby is sleeping, he is doing a good job even if it's not the way you want it done.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• JUST C IF U CAN LET HIM HANDLE THE BABY ON FRI-AND-SAT BECAUSE ITS THE WEEKEND....THEY SHOULD BE TIRED ENOUGH TO HAVE A HEALTHY NAP SAT AND SUN.......HOLD A FAMILY INTERVENTION. JUST LET HIM DO HIS THING WIT THE BABY ON THE NIGHTS WHERE U WOULD WANT TO SLEEP IN THENEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTTA B A SMART MOMMY.
    MS.BUTTR

Answer by MS.BUTTR at 5:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• don't assume your husband won't want to help because you want to talk to him... that's kind of crazy. but make sure you are discussing rather than trying to force your opinion (which might then make sense that he wouldn't want to). consistency IS important, but if the baby is going to sleep for both of you then you need to take a step back and consider that your husband has valid ideas too. this child is both of yours to parent and you need to do it together and respect each other.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• At 10 weeks, it's not the baby who benefits from the schedule, it's the grown-folk. Do what works for you, and let hubby-do what works for him. What I found disturbing is the "he doesn't want to help put the baby to sleep" deal. Um...who's baby is it? His not helping should not be an option. Don't sweat Jr's schedule - plenty of time for that...time to talk to papa about how a FAMILY functions.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Talk to your husband. Most men don't know what is expected of them unless you ask.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 7:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010