IUD

I am 6 weeks postpartum and will be getting an IUD placed on aug 9th. What should I expect? Does it hurt? What are you likes and dislikes? What are your periods like? Thanks everyone!

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 4:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Health

• I got an IUD after i had my first son and i loved it... i barley had a period and didnt really have any complications. I think the only issue i had was that i had to go get the string cut a little shorter because it kept poking me but once it was fixed everything was great! it was the perfect birthcontrol for me... i was awful at remembering pills.
    lizymay86

Answer by lizymay86 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I personally haven't had it, too many stories of heavy bleeding, it falling out or getting pregnant while it's in.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• it does hurt a bit while theyre putting it in,but nothing compared to child birth so it didnt bother me,you have a bit of light cramping for the next few hours once its in,and periods are different for each woman,I have little bleeding or no period at all for months on end,and my moms friend who has it also has unpredictable periods some heavy some not
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I had an IUD for apx 6 years. When it was inserted it wasn't much worse than a regular pap smear. Don't we all love those:) My periods where fairly normal but towards the last year and a half I started cramping pretty bad so I had it removed. My last child was born 7 years later with no other birth control used. I liked the fact that I didn't have to take a pill every day the cramping towards the end was probably the thing I disliked the most. IMO I wouldn't hesitate recommending the IUD. Hope this helps. Oh and by the way, my last child is now 11 so its been a while.

CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 5:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010