Do you limit the movies your child watches by rating?

Like..does your child have to be 13 before watching PG-13, etc.?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 5:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No. She watches most things except porn of course!
    She's 5 and has always loved horror movies, even the pg13 or R ones. The gorier the better for her, she just gets the giggles and gets a kick out of watching it.
    If it's something we haven't seen before we'll watch it without her first to make sure it's okay, but we don't really go by the ratings.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am like Kiwi's mom. Mine got to watch anything, but, porn. From birth on. We used all movies and things as opportunities to teach and learn and impart our beliefs and values on my son.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Nah. The rating system is rigged. Check out the documentary "Not Yet Rated". It's not the best documentary, but it does give some truthful and illuminating information on the people who rate movies.
    I watch the movie before I turn it on for my kid. My mom did too. It didn't stop us from watching things she probably wouldn't have approved of =] but I don't think anything would have stopped us.
    hcanightingale

Answer by hcanightingale at 5:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No they were watching rated R movies at 5.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sort of. I use the ratings as a guideline, but I will usually check out websites devoted to breaking down any potentially objectionable content so I can decide for myself what's appropriate or not.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter is a year old and shes not allowed to watch tv,once shes older I will have her watch things that is for her age group...also idk remember what the percentage is but children who watch movies or shows with sexual content or explicit features in it are more likely to start having sex at a young age,kids shouldnt be watching movies like that anyway!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It depends. I think the ratings are general guides and it really depends on the kids and what is scary or intimidating for them. For instance, one of my kids is really spooked by anything that smacks of the supernatural but loves nature and has grown up watching shows about animals eating other animals... she was scared witless by a G-rated Scooby Doo movie but had no problem with Jurassic Park (which was PG or PG-13.) I take the content into account, but it's the content moreso than the rating the movie has been given for it's content.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Nope. My kids are 11, 7, 4, and 21 months. We usually watch movies together anyway, so we will let them know if they can continue watching it or if they need to leave the room.
    momtofiveboys

Answer by momtofiveboys at 5:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am and always have been picky. I want them to see what is age appropriate. But I contantly get "but (so and so) watched it, his/her parents let them watch it...." There is so much more going on in movies than I wish for them to know before they need to.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes and no.
    I don't do it so much by rating. I'd much rather do it by own discretion. I used to pre-view almost all the movies my boys watch. Now i only pre-view anything PG and up. Anything rated G is fine and needs no pre-viewing. ...In another 2 years (they will be 7 and 6 by then) i will no longer pre-view any PG movies only PG13 movies if i feel it's necessary.

I do this because DS1 has behavior issues. It is important that i make sure the movies we watch are not going to influence any more negative behavior from him. Hopefully that will change as he gets older.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010