Getting your child to sleep in their own bed WITHOUT crying it out..

My two year old has gotten WAYYY to comfy sleeping in my bed, and I'm ready to kick her out! :-) I'm just wondering what are the best ways to get her back in her own bed full time without just sticking her in there and letting her scream her little head off.

What worked for you?

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try sitting with your child until they fall asleep, gently rubbing their back. I will sit with my child for ONE song on her CD. She knows after that song is done, mommy is leaving the room.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I am not a big fan of CIO, either. It was just too hard for me to follow through with it.

When I transitioned my son to his toddler bed, I instigated a very strict bedtime routine. He got to where (and he still does this) he knew what was coming up next and even start to prepare for it before we were done (like on the last page of the book, he'd start to get off of my lap so I could sing him a song). At first, I didn't leave his room until he was asleep (yes. it did take FOREVER sometimes). Then, I'd start to leave his room when he was dozing, but not completely asleep and eventually, I got to where I'd leave right after the song. It was very gradual and long. It wasn't easy for me, either.

Good luck! Kids thrive on patterns. It helps for them to know what to expect. I hope your daughter catches on quickly!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Could always try this: Put a chair in her room and sit by her bed. Tell her to lay down and sleep. Just sit and read or whatever until she's asleep. Move your chair every night towards the door and eventually place it outside the door. Then just put her to bed.
    If she cries, tell her you'll leave the room until she's done and leave or whatever, but come back in soon and ask if she's ready to sleep yet. Hopefully this will get her to stop crying.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• BUMP! =]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Did you ever read the sleep sense program? google it...it's a downloadable book but you do have to pay for it. It has two ways to get your kid to sleep in their own bed. One with crying and one without.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• With my oldest, he slept in my bed until he was almost two. Then I put him in his bed and I would lay on the floor next to him until he fell asleep. Then eventually I would sit in the rocker across the room until he would sleep. Then I told him, "I'm just going to sit in the hall." When he would come see if I were there (I was) I would put him back and say, "I'll be right here ok?" Then he finally was okay with sleeping in his room without me right next to him. Took a little bit, but its great now. I couldn't let him cry it out, I have one of the few children that vomits when he gets upset. It was to much to put him through every single night. So this worked for us.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• first of all what kind of bed are u trying to put her in? a crib, toddler bed, or regular twin? depending on that, and if you have room in YOUR room i would start with setting up her bed next to yours and letting her sleep in it for a few nights like that so she sees that she's still near u but in her own big girl bed. Then gradually move it across the room or into her own room. If that doesn't sound like a good idea then try the sitting in a chair next to her bed for a while until she falls asleep, for a few nights and gradually leave earlier and earlier. routine's do help alot too. Also, if she gets up in the night and crawls into bed with you GET UP and take her back to HER bed! I know it sucks to interrupt your sleep but if you're not consistent she'll just keep getting up and crawling into bed with you. Believe me i've been there :P My oldest co-slept with us for over 3 years! it will get easier though :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son falls asleep anywhere, we just move him to his bed. It takes time and patience, which my husband doesn't have (even if he's not in the room with our son). I've laid in bed with him until he's fallen asleep, sat in his bed, rubbed his back, held his hand just so he'd know I was there and just sat in the doorway of his room. Most of it worked a few times but then became more of a habit than just letting him fall asleep where ever he was!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I must be a bitch w my kids compared to some of these suggestions! lol My 8 yo has not a prob sleeping in her own bed, but my 4 yo did. He didn't get a choice about anything, and I will be damned if I sit in his room and wait on him to doze off or go completely to sleep. He brushes his teeth, goes potty, helpes me with something to drink for the night; I pop in a DVD, and after kisses and goodnights, I leave. He was very hard @ first because he did scream (which I know the OP wants to avoid), but if you're both that persistant to get what you want, you will have difficulties. I think tho that having a setting a routine that your kids can expect is that best thing to do. You may be surprised to find that your LO doesn't have that hard of a time on their own.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 5:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter napped in her crib, so she was used to sleeping alone. We co-slept until she was sleeping through the night on a regular basis; it was never a big deal.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010