How do you get you child to sleep in public?

My little sleeps great at home but when we are out she will not sleep. It is not fun . We have to leave early from places all the time . We have a big family event coming up and i do not what to have to leave in the middle of it.What do you do

clairemomma09

Asked by clairemomma09 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son loves to sleep in his car seat. He usually falls asleep in the car, and I just let him sleep until he wakes up wherever we are.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We are/were that couple too - he would not sleep anywhere but home.. well, besides in the car but he would cry and scream before he'd let himself fall asleep even there.. Our family was far from understanding but hey, they didn't "get it"! some kids WON'T sleep anywhere else..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I pretty much plan my schedule so that I am always home for his nap(s). I do have a pack n play that I got him used to when he was young and he will sleep in there, but still needs a quiet room - he won't sleep like in the middle of a park or something.

Answer by missanc at 5:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The pack n play is a great idea and then at least she is going to sleep in a familiar bed. Have her use it a couple of times at home so she is used to it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I used to plan my outings around naptime or so that naptime fell around the time we were coming home. My sons 3 1/2 now and never naps except the occasion dozing off in the car!
    I would try bringing something from home that he sleeps with or hold him/rock him until he falls asleep. You could also try getting him to fall asleep in a stroller while taking a walk or throw him in the car and take a quick ride to get him to sleep.
    I can't think of anything else. Hope this helps.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Do you have a toddler backpack? It was the best way to get my daughter to nap in public.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Welcome to life with a toddler. It isn't easy for anyone. All you can do is bring a pack n play a favorite blanket/stuffed toy and hope for the best. You might have luck taking a little drive around naptime and letting your toddler doze off in the car. I've noticed though, that if they won't nap and you get through the first 30 minutes of crankiness it typically passes and they're good again. Maybe that is just my kids though.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter has never been the one to fall asleep anywhere but her bed or with her daddy.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ergo Baby Carrier.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 12:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I run my kid around until he's begging for sleep. Then I do one of two things .. I find a quiet place and rock him to sleep with his sippy and blanket, or I put him in his stroller with his sippy and blanket. Sometimes just walking him around with those two things helps greatly. Othertimes he'll be tired enough to just fall to sleep with being walked around.

Then I push him off to the side where it's quiet and let him sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2010