Sewing question...

I am taking up sewing for the first time and am trying to make some baby items for someone having a baby. The question is do I have to wash the fabric before sewing it?
I have some cotton prints, minky, flannel and terry cloth. I am putting the cotton print and the minky together and the flannel and terry cloth together.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 5:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It's been drilled into me all my life wash your fabrics before cutting. Shrinkage is the ovbvious reason. I've found through the years though it also takes care of the first bleed of colors that tend to bleed. Wash your fabrics just as you do cloths..lights with lights, dark together etc.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, good idea so it will shrink and not be a problem when she washes it. And put it in the dryer. Hopefully it is all machine wash and dry. Good luck with your project!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would prewash it and dry the fabric in the dryer. It eliminates shrinkage later on. It is a little more work, but it will be worth it in the end.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes! Definitely wash everything before you cut/sew
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Until recently I was under the impression you always had to wash fabric before sewing, but apparently that is outdated information (I learned it in 4-H nearly 30 years ago). Since the fabrics you are using are not all the exact same type I would wash them. If you wait until afterwards to wash them you may find that some shrink more than others, and that might leave you with some unwanted puckering.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes. I quilt and wash all my fabrics first, then iron them.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• yep i wash them before and after i finish my projects! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would say so...
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• items for babys need to be washed in a soap for babies. Their skin is so tender when they are new... LOL
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 6:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010