What is a good curfew for a 17 year old girl?

My DD is expect to be home at 10pm. My neighbor lets her 16 DD stay out until midnight.

Just wondering what you ladies thought.

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• 10 pm no later than that. 17 is still underage. If something happens to your 17 year old you the mom are held responsible. Anything can happen at anytime but the odds decrease with the early curfew.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 5:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My only rule is that if they stay out they are still willing and able to get up the next day for school or work. If they don't have school or work to get up for, I don't see any reason to make them come home at any certain time. However, their cell phones are to be ON and At their side at ALL TIMES, because if I call, they BETTER ANSWER! I generally called and checked in (when I had a teen) around 11 and then before I went to bed. In PA, 17 is a legal age to move out on your own and local curfew laws only apply until 17... However, I also require that they keep up their end of the deal, or they loose that privilege and I will start to enforce an early curfew which they will earn back hour by hour... I always give my kids the benefit of the doubt, but once the trust is broken (if it is broken) they have to earn it back!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My curfew was pretty much non existant when I was 17 but thats bc I talked everything out before hand. Different things had different times.

What does she deserve? Look at her grades, attitude, and relationship with you. Does she work so she can pay for her own nights out?
    Do you trust her friends? My friends were always at my house so my parents KNEW who I was with. Not every kid is like that.
    And when is she 18? She should know when she has her birthday that your imposed curfew still applys.
    Does the city or county have a curfew for minors? Alot of them do now and it's usually not very late. : )

And don't forget what its like to be 17, listen to her and even if its just a front and will have no impact on the time you come up with at least listen.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 5:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 10 or 11 pm for 17 year old, unless there is a special event to push it to midnight. Depends on the kid and the community.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 11

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 10pm. Although I will say that having a curfew didn't stop me from doing anything. All the things my parents were worried I would do if I stayed out late could be and were done before the 10pm curfew I had. Just some food for thought.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• When i was 17, my curfew was 1 am, because that was the states curfew for minors. Once I turned 18, I had no curfew what so ever. My dd is still young, but once we get to that I will also give her the privledge of staying out late, as long as she proves she is responsible first
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree with SleepingBeautee. Is she an all around good kid? Does she get good grades? And thing could be done in 15 minutes between school and home even. But, think, she will be 18 in a year and can stay out all night if she chooses as a legal adult. I would say 12. LOL But, My curfew at 17, 18 and even older was 11. And one time I came home at 11:15, because my car was blocked in and I had my curfew backed up to 10 again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• maybe push to 11 but only for good behavior! midnight is to late! my parents only let me stay out that late after i turned 18! do what u want she is ur daughter she lives under ur roof if she doesnt like it to bad!! stay strong! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• at 17, depending on your area and her friends and her personality. I would say 11
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010