How to you feel...

about the mentally handicapped having children? Not moms with severe depression but how can I put this nicely without looking like I mean, mentally retarded.

Honestly it upsets me. My brother who has the mind of a 12 year old and can't work, is having babies with other mentally handicap women that is on SSI. He has 2 month old and another one due on February (two different mamas) They can barley take care of themselves what makes them think they can raise a baby? The state is going to be the one paying for almost everything. My brother can't mentally handle a baby and nether can his wife so I don't see why the hell they got pregnant. I feel horrible for their kids. i know for a fact they can't handle it so it's either my parents will end up raising them or the state will take them away but yet they keeping having kids. His wife had 3 kids from a previous relationship and all 3 were taken away. I think it's selfish.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow, I have to agree with you. I think doctors and the government should start fixing the problems before it gets to messed up. It's bad enough that people who are normal can't get assistance for rent/food/medical, but yet people who have an handicap bare children can get more assistance for them and the children they have. Pretty soon this world is gonna be over populated!
    CreedMama3

Answer by CreedMama3 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If they are mentally handicap, then they are probably not capable of making sound decisions. I don't think they are being selfish if they can not comprehend the full impact of what they are doing. The family should step in and get some type of legal guardianship to help them make better decisions. My uncle is mentally handicap, but he truly believes he could fly an airplane among other things. He is not capable of understanding his limitations, so my grandparents have legal guardianship and are able to make his decisions for him. My uncle gets upset by the restrictions put on him, but it is for his own good and the safety of others.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 5:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Wow- now that is a crazy situation.... so sorry you have to watch that!!! and very sad for those kids..,, I have mental issues like depression and anxiety and waited til I was 29 to get pregnant... I was tossing it up all the time whether or not it was selfish of me to have kids knowing there's a possibility of passing my illness on to my child.. but I can also care for my son.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Creedmama its already over populated......
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• that's sad, there's really no easy answer though, if they had responsible parents (the handicapped 'adults') who taught them about birth control and how hard it is to raise kids or even gotten them sterilized they might not be in this situation. but then again they deserve a chance to be a parent and be in a loving relationship too... it doesn't seem right that one girl could have 3 kids all taken away by the state and no one do anything to stop her having more kids though :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If they are that mentally challenged, then how can they understand how to prevent making babies? All in all, it's tough situation. They have rights like everyone else, so they can't be forced to be "fixed" or made to use BC. Maybe people should have to obtain a permit to procreate. There are some purely stupid people out there making babies and being on welfare or who get their kids taken away that aren't mentally challenged.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My brother has a mind of a 12 year old his wife I dont know I never met her, So he does understand what he's doing and does know about BC he just wants to have a family.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010