Girls hitting Boys

I'm just curious if any moms had to deal with this.
I had a male roommate whos 10 yo daughter would come over to visit a lot. She loved to harrass my 10 yo son. For the most part I stayed out of it cuz I knew it would go a long way in helping him to deal with annoying people as he grew older. He was provided areas in the house that were off limits to the girl if he needed to get away. And when she really got out of line I would step in. Well one day she went to far and my son hit her. I made him apologize to the girl and her father and took him aside and made it abuduntly clear that boys are to never hit girls. About a week later the girl came over and was playing w/my son and his friends. The boys were wrestling and the girl came up behind my son and hit him. He hit her back. This time I didn't reprimand him. Fortantly the roommate moved out not long after. How do you teach your boys not to hit when girls don't hesitate?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 5:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• IMO, as a mother of 2 boys, girls need to know their place, and if they can't take it,they shouldn't dish it out. Bullies are bullies, whether they're girls are boys and if they don't want to get hit back, they shouldn't be hitting other kids in the first place.I teach my boys to not hit girls and to certainly not start fights, but to defend themselves if they get hit. I wish other parents would do the same.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree with beth but also remembering being that age, it was a flirting thing and and awkward stage of not knowing how to show feelings or emotions..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We have been teaching our sons that you don't hit girls from an early age. But we have said it is ok only in the instance that their life is in danger or to get out of a dangerous situation, ie kidnapper or something like that.
    We tell them it is because men are physically stronger and can do much more damage than a woman can.

With that being said, sometimes girls need a good slap. When I was in high school I would slap any guy that pissed me off. One day a guy named Woody, called me a bitch to my face. I hauled off and slapped him, damn HE SLAPPED ME BACK HARD! I totally deserved it, I should not have him him over something so stupid. I will say that I have never hit another man again in anger. That taught me that not all guys refuse to hit a girl.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My sons know not to hit even if they are hit. i had all make relatives and was not caudled but I never went over and hit my brothers either I stopped them from hitting me.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• sorry male relatives. I do not agree that men are stronger but I do agree do not dish it out if you cannot take it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Boys should never hit girls, and that's the way I'm raising my sons. They are generally strong enough to either A) stop a girl from hitting them by holding her arms, or B) run away and get somewhere safe. It's never okay for a man to hit a woman!

I don't think it's right for girls to hit boys either - I'm not advocating that and I teach my girls not to hit also but even if a girl does hit, a boy should not hit back.

Answer by missanc at 8:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We taught our sons to not hit girls because guys can be stronger sometimes. But if they are being taken by anyone male or female to fight the attacker to get away and run for help. We never had a problem with girls hitting them and it making them mad. Usually if a girl hit it was a friendly chuck on their arm while sharing a popsicle or something.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I raised my sons NEVER to hit a girl. I know its a normal reaction to hit back but when it comes to a female, its better to walk away rather than knock her out...but on that same hand, parents of girls should teach them not to hit boys as well! I think most girls know that boys are not allowed to hit them and will push the boy to the limit just to get him in trouble and then again some girls do it just to be bullies to the boys...hitting is never an excuse for flirting because someone could get hurt...I also teach my daughers to keep their hands to themselves.
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 12:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010