St. Vincent DePaul shells out about $100,000 a year in landfill fees... What do you think of this?

Charity drop offs are being used more and more as a place to toss trash so that people don't have to pay to have it hauled or disposed of... These charities are now being forced to spend their earnings, not to help those in need, but to toss trash! What's worse is the donation boxes are being robbed on a higher rate than ever...

What do you think? I ALWAYS take my donations to the store, never the box so that no one can steal them, but now I feel like I should offer to take a box of trash in exchange just so the donation can actually help someone! Sheesh! Some people are just ridiculous!

I'll post the news report link below...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• This was part of the reason why our boxes were removed. We also had people using them as toilets if you catch my drift!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• that is just sad that people would donate trash! I don't think they understand what donation is.
    I always make sure to donate quality items!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Goodwill has been saying this for years. They spend thousands every year throwing out garbage.

WAKE UP PEOPLE...if it is garbage throw it out. Nobody needs your stained, holey crap.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I wish I knew. I wash, fold, iron and hang any clothes we donate.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Seriously... If it's got a stain on it larger than a pencil eraser I won't donate it... And even then only if it can easily be covered... But the stuff is always clean and w/o holes... Some of the stuff they were showing on the News was just gross! Used car oil, old paint, broken and potentially dangerous kids toys...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Speaks rather loudly to a self-focused nature and a disregard for others.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Seriously bad stuff I don't donate, but I have donated things with bleach marks or a small paint stains. I always figured they were used in shelters or for natural disasters or something. Do they seriously only accept like new stuff?

If so where can I donate otherwise usable clothes?

Not to hijack your question lol :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They accept minorly stained stuff, it doesn't have to be perfect, but if it's trash, it's trash! And really it wasn't even clothing that is the issue, but things like batteries or used cleaners... IF they can sell it or use it they will, but some of this stuff was just horrid... One couch they showed was all chewed by a dog and was missing a cushion and a leg... But it's free to donate stuff they would normally have to pay to have hauled away, so they donate...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I didn't know people were doing that but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Too many people behave like selfish pigs.
    WHen I give clothing to Goodwill or The Vietnam Vets, they are clean and folded and in good shape.
    I just gave a large solid wood entertainment center away and there was not even a scratch on it. I am about to call and donate a sofa that looks new.\
    I think it sucks that people give crap to avoid garbage fees....how rotten and selfish.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010