Hard or soft top sippies??

I've heard hard top sippies effect their teeth or whatever.. like the same effect as thumb sucking.

I've heard soft top sippies are basically bottles but with a different shape.

I don't know what's better.. I guess all as their pros and cons.. but what do you use?

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use a few of each. The soft top was easier to get her off the bottle.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We use the hard top sippies. The kids chewed on the soft top ones to the point where it would leak.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 6:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I use both, most of the time my 2 yr old gets the hard sippys and my 1 yr old gets the soft
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 1 use hard top ones.. my daughter never walked around with one in her mouth so there shouldnt be any effect on her teeth. Hard tops are easier to clean & the soft top seem to stink after a while, especially if one gets lost under the bed for a day- a hard one as long as you wash it good the smell is gone & all is good.. also the softs ones the nipple part seem to loosen and leak, I know id stretch them a little while trying to wash them..
    i think the soft ones may encourage bitting too (which ruins them quicker) since its a soft rubber like a bottle/paci.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We started with soft spout sippies and then moved on to hard spout sippies. I saw the soft spout sippies as a transitioning tool. I think the hard spout sippies can be over-used and cause problems, but by around 18 months you should be able to give them a regular non-sippy cup at least some of the time. You can also make rules about when and where sippies are used to avoid having your child carrying it around all the time. We made a spot in the kitchen where our little ones were allowed to use their sippies in between meals, but they weren't allowed to drag them all over the house. They also had to practice treating the sippies the same as they would a regular cup so when we transitioned to those they didn't think it was ok to drop them. I think like most things, moderation of use is a big factor.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I only use soft spouts from 7 months to about 10 months, then they are just a waste of money because they chew them up. After 10 months I switched all my kids to hard spouts.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I've tried them all & the best one I have found is made by NUBY. They have a soft spout and my DS likes them the best. Now they come with a cap to prevent spills when you go out. He will actually ask for that one if I give him a different one. He is 3 1/2 & I still use them to prevent spillage when we go out in the car or shopping or even for in the den.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Our pediatrician recommended the soft spout cups particularly those with straws. Apparently they help build the muscles needed for speech. I have found that you need to watch for chewing as they can chew through the straws. (Note: I also found it cheaper to repalce the cup than to try to just replace the straws since I had to pay shipping to get the replacements.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I prefer soft top
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We use hard top sippys. We tried the soft top ones but my DD wouldn't use them.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 9:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010