Is there anything you can't/shouldn't can?

I'm very proud...I made my first batches of apple sauce and jam today! But now I'm thinking of other things. I am thinking about making spaghetti sauce and some soups. With dairy based soups do I need to freeze them or can I jar them and stick them in the cupboard? I was thinking about trying salsa too. Do I need to freeze these things or does the canning process preserve them?

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Here are all the USDA guidelines for safe canning:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_usda.html

You should get the correct recipes/ratios there for just about anything you want to can.  It's not safe to stray from those - they're designed to prevent bacteria from growing.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Just about anything non dairy can be canned as far as I know. Salsa and marinara sauce are both fine to can. I think carrots are not preservable like this though. I wouldn't can dairy based soups, but maybe you can get someone with a little more experience to advise you on that part :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Awesome site! Thank you :)
    mamasitax2

Comment by mamasitax2 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010