Do social networks do good or bad things for political movements?

They both open more people to different views and new ways of thinking and to more lies and propaganda...

What's your opinion?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It gives more exposure to gossip, misinformation, and outright lies. Conversely, it is a fast way to get news. One must be very selective about what one regards as credible and when something seems off--investigate it. Don't take everything as truth.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It probably helps the party that wants to spread propaganda and out and out lies. Some people fall for it.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I guess, I can see both sides to it... On the one hand it's harder to tell the difference between truth and lies. And easier for propaganda and lies to grow virally! On the OTHER hand, people are able to be exposed to issues they may never have thought of before and helps to expose people to a wider way of thinking over the ME ME ME mentality... - although many still have the ME ME ME way of thinking...

So I guess like so many other things it has it's pros and cons...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No it's just another way of communication.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think idiots will be stupid no matter WHERE the info comes from. I mean we ALL know that all the news medias are biased but there are people that ONLY believe what ONE station says (ON BOTH SIDES)! I have come on this site and seen a story I hadnt heard and done some personal research on it to see what was up! I think these sites only make the well informed MORE informed and and the ill informed MORE ill informed......

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It's called 'SOCIAL Networking" for a reason... ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Do you mean like Facebook? If so, I keep my account STRICTLY superficial...and only for catching up with old friends, co-workers, and classmates. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I follow EVERYONE on twitter politically. It's easiest to see a person's real personality when they are constantly talking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010