DH wants to live the rich life and we are not.

He has such dreams. He wants to now join a Yacht Club. We sail occasionally when we can afford to rent. But we are not the upper class. How do I let him down easily.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• There is no easy let down - you can't live a caviar life on a beer budget. Keep sailing when you can afford the luxury. Aye mates!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• That's too funny
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 6:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Never stop dreaming. Maybe you can't do it now and he needs to understand that but it doesn't mean you can't someday.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Just ask him where he plans on getting the money from?

Answer by missanc at 8:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Discuss this. Also look at your budget together, show him the cold hard facts.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• tell him lets work towards having that type of income. the richest people in the world will tell you, the first step is knowing how to save and make wise investments, i dont mean stock investments hehe, i mean choosing to invest in a new living room set or nickel and dime your paycheck away on stupid stuff.
    If you can not budget, save, invest, create savings accounts, maybe cd's or mutual funds, retirement funds of some sort, emergency funds etc. will not happen unless you get lucky and fall into one of those odd ball situations like when facebook was created and BAM he's a millionaire now for something he thought would just be harvard college students...
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• once you get good at saving, stocks, bonds etc. can make your money work for you and create wealth but they can also bankrupt you...

if you want the high life, work for it. expand careers, go for it. my mom went from living in government housing when i was first born, i grew up in a trailer with her in a crappy lil town to now...she owns a gorgeous home in an upper suburbia area of a city, has a nice pool, hot tub, cars, a camper that is nicer than some people's house, freaking dogs that cost thousands a piece etc. she's not "rich" or a millionaire hah but she makes a lot of $. the point is...she went from welfare to dogs weighing 3lbs that cost thousands of dollars. if he wants that lifestyle....then tell him make it happen baby1!!
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Don't slow him down...make more $. I had big dreams on my little budget, too. Got tired of living like that, so I started my own business. Now I work from home making unlimited income and working as many hours as I want. I love it!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 1:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2010