Do you have a "Clean your plate" rule?

If so, do you find that it helps in not wasting food?

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 6:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Clean your plate rules lead to overeating. We have a "try it" rule. You have to at least taste everything on your plate. If you are full or really don't like it that's fine, and we all knew that just because we tried it and didn't like it that didn't mean we would get anything different.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I try to. Definitely for things I know they like.
    But if we're having something new, I enforce the 3 bite rule before they can refuse to eat it. If after three bites they still say they don't like it, I don't make them eat it, BUT I do substitute with more of what ever it is they do like.
    Like tonight we had breakfast for dinner and my son doesn't like eggs, so he got extra bacon.

Yes, definitely saves on the wasting food!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We like them to eat most of it but not clean the plate. If they leave a lot, that is their snack for later.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I know when my kids are full from eating and when they just want to get up and go play... if they are full they dont have to eat everything... but if they just want to get up and go play I make them eat X bites...
    jenirjohnson

Answer by jenirjohnson at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't require the kids to clean their plates. I do pack up left overs and someone has them for lunch the next day. My DH was force fed as a child and hates even thinking about those times. I do my best to offer the best nutritional food that I can.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I do not - YET... Because I make up their plates. However, my rule is anyone who makes their own plate has to finish what they put on it. I don't know how hungry they are, so I don't expect them to eat it all if I over estimate, but if THEY take it, they have to eat it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No they know what they can eat and if they do not want it they say no.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I only do when they put the food on there own plate,other then that I make them try everything atleast with the 3 bite rule and remember we cant forget that there stomachs arnt bigger then there fist so we shouldnt overload there plates either.I always overcook but I make most of my meals in the slowcooker so I freeze alot for another day so we really dont deal to much with leftovers
    peanuts2804

Answer by peanuts2804 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I tried that rule with my kids. It backfired on me. I have learned from that experience. I try not to put a lot of food on their plates in the first place. If they want more, I will offer them more.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• no way. i can imagine forcing my kid to eat if she isnt hungry. i give her just a small amount of stuff anyway and if she eats it all and says she is still hungry i'll give her more.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010