Will it ever get better?!

For the past 2 days my son has went to daycare and been a total terror! I work at the same daycare, and its an in home daycare so i can't seperate myself from him during the day. He goes around hitting the other kids, screaming and crying if toys are taken from him or if he takes toys from the other kids and gets corrected, and during nap will not nap now..will just lay in his play pen and scream and cry. It was so bad today that I called his dad, who was off work today, to cmoe get him. He was totally fine when he got home. He is 18 almost 19 months old. Any suggestions? He is part time right now but come 2nd week of august will be full time. (part time b/c i can only work part time right now...2-3 days a week).

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is daycare new to him?? Maybe he is just trying to figure out how it works being around all those kids, maybe he is trying to get your attention- he might be jealous of you taking care of the other kids?
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son is exactly the same age as yours - born Jan 8. And he JUST started being much more willful in his behavior too. For both our sakes I hope it is a quick phase!! Some of the things he does - when I tell him "no" he will hurry to do more of whatever bad thing he is doing before I can get to him, and/or hit me once I get to him to physically stop him from doing whatever it is he was doing. He is also testing limits by playing little games...the worst one right now is when we tell him to "Sit down." We make him stay sitting in the bathtub, and on the couch. But lately he has decided he is going to try, over and over again, to stand up. He looks at us expectantly, waiting to be told no. Then he doesn't do as he is told and has to be physically sat down. It is beyond frustrating! And my kid has typically been very easygoing and well-behaved, so I know it is worse for other parents with more headstrong kids. Ugh!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sounds like to me that he's asserting his authority with the rest of the group. You definately need to put in place some punishment in the daycare. It doesn't matter if you're at work or not, you need to keep being a mom to him while he's there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2010