What's next? Setting the drapes of fire?

Just great.

Just discovered my 14 yr old dd spilled paint on the antique dresser in her room. I guess she was bored too. She also marred it up with a pen, digging in deep trenches.

You know, it's kinda funny too. When I vent about stuff like this I am often ask, where where you when it happened? Like I'm never suppose to let them leave my sight for a second or even sleep for that matter. When I mention that sometimes they get up before me and do stuff I get told will why don't you get up before them? What do you do when all the kids are up and down all night? Some up at 3 am, some at 1 am, and some at 6. Different every night times 5. I try my best.

Now dh is understandably upset.

This really really sucks.

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell her to pay for repairs. She can earn money to help pay to fix it. Make her accountable. sorry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I totally agree with the above poster without this kind of punihment she will never learn the value of the dollar and to respect the property that her parents have work hard for to provide for her. I totally understand that you cant have your 14 year old attached to your hip you have to give them wings sometimes and stuff happens
    peanuts2804

Answer by peanuts2804 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We've tried making them do chores around the house to earn money to fix broken things, then they refuse to do the chores. So then we try taking things away until they earn them back. Never happens. I swear I have never seen more stubbornness. I once took everything out of her room. She outlasted us by 6 months. It's just nuts.
    Anonymous5

Comment by Anonymous5 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• yes definitely hold her accountable.

and this is exactly the reason my kids don't have antique furniture - press board walmart stuff for them! LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Explain to her that while she may not like these things in the house, YOU DO. Explain it's disrespectful and really have a talk with her instead of bitching. Explain that you guys pay for stuff in the house and then get her to a therapist and make her go. Honestly, that's a tough age and it sounds like you've done what you can. That's why I suggest the therapist. Maybe she'd speak to her?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010